Press Box


HOUGHTON, Mich. â€Ã‚“The â€Ã‚˜Cats were playing their third game in a row in the U.P. on Friday nightand it was their other rival, the Michigan Tech Huskies of the WCHA.  On the line was the Ramada Cup which will goto the winner of the four-game series as it was all even as both teams won ontheir home ice earlier in the season as the first two games of the series wentinto overtime.   Ã‚ Well some things would stay the same onFriday night, for the third time this season the â€Ã‚˜Cats and Huskies would needsome extra time to settle the game.  Butafter 65 minutes of hockey the only thing that was settled was a tie game at3-3.  With the tie NMU is now 7-7-1 on the season and MTU is now 3-8-4. The winner of the game on Saturday night will now take home the RamadaCup. If the game would end in a tie on Saturday night a shoot off would takeplace to determine a winner.  â€Ã‚œI think itspeaks of a competitive series,â€Ã‚ Walt Kyle, the head coach of NMU, said.  â€Ã‚œI think it is two equal teams.â€Ã‚


NMU took the early 2-1 lead after  the first period of play as Dave Bonk scoredhis first goal of the season at 3:29 of the first period to give the â€Ã‚˜Cats theearly advantage at 1-0.  Andrew Contoisand John Miller assisted on the opening goal of the game.  Tech would come back about four minutes laterto tie the game at one-all on a goal by Lars Helminen.  The goal was the first given up by CraigKowalski in over 130 minutes of play.  Butthe tie would last for a little over four minutes when Alex Sawruk scored hissecond goal of the season at 11:39 as the â€Ã‚˜Cats took over the lead once again.  Alan Swanson and Kevin Gardner were given creditwith the helper.


Tech turned the red light on at 6:51 of the second period to tie the game once again ona goal by Colin Murphy.  Murphy wouldgive the Huskies their first lead of the game, 3-2, when he scored a power-playgoal at 19:28 of the second period.  After 40 minutes of play the â€Ã‚˜Cats had 20shots on goal to the home teamâ€Ã‚™s 26.


Sawruk scored his second goal of the game and third of theseason at 1:53 of the third periodto tie it at three-all.  Nathan Oystrickand Gardner assisted on the goal. Regulation would end that way and off toovertime the teams would go for the third time this season.  â€Ã‚œAlex (Sawruk)played well against Lake Superior last weekend andplayed well again tonight,â€Ã‚ Kyle added. 


Before the teams could even start the five minute overtimeperiod, NMU called a one minute timeout. Tech seemed to have the better chances to win the game as they had fiveshots in the extra period while NMU had three.


The â€Ã‚˜Cats had five chances on the power play on the nightand could not convert.  The Huskies onthe other hand converted two power-play goals in six chances.  Kowalski went the distance for the â€Ã‚˜Cats ashe recorded 36 saves on the night.  BryceLuker of Tech had 30 saves.  For the gamethe â€Ã‚˜Cats had 33 shots while the Huskies had 39.


The two teams will meet in Marquetteon Saturday night at the Berry Events Center, with face off at 7:35 p.m., for round four of the season.



Prepared By
Dave Faiella
Sports Information Director