The Northern Michigan University hockey Wildcats saw their 2010-11 season come to a close as Bryce Williamson scored his fourth goal of the season for the Bowling Green Falcons at 0:34 of the second overtime on Sunday, March 6. Bowling Green won the game and series with the 2-1 victory over the Wildcats in the third game of their Central Collegiate Hockey Association first round play-off series. The Wildcats ended the season with a 15-19-5 record and a 12-3-3-0 conference finish. Bowling Green (10-25-4, 3-21-4-2 CCHA) will advance to play a second round CCHA Playoff series against Michigan, March 11-13.
The Falcons opened the scoring as Chad Sumsion buried the puck at 18:25 of the 2ndperiod, assisted by Brett Mohler and Bobby Shea. The Wildcats weren’t able to tie the score until 6:40 of the third period when Andrew Cherniwchan beat Falcon goaltender Andrew Hammond on a rebounded shot by Scott Macaulay. The two teams went on to play another thirty minutes of scoreless hockey before Williamson scored the game winner for the Falcons, just 34 seconds into the second overtime.
The game lasted three hours and 15 minutes. Both teams were unsuccessful on the power play as Bowling Green attempted five and the Wildcats’ four. Reid Ellingson ended the night with 32 saves for the Wildcats while Hammond had 44 for the Falcons.
- The last time the Wildcats played double overtime was on March 26, 2010, when they lost, 4-3, to St. Cloud State in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.
- The last time the Wildcats won in double overtime was on March 26, 1993, when the Wildcats defeated Harvard, 3-2, in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament.
- The last time the Wildcats played a three-game-series in the Berry Events Center was in 2004-05 when they beat WMU in game three in the first round of the CCHA Playoffs.
- The last time the Wildcats played in game three of a three-game-series was in 2008-09 when the ‘Cats beat Miami in game three
- This is the earliest post-season departure for the Wildcats during Walt Kyles tenure.
- Last post-season meeting with Bowling Green was March 13, 2001 when Bowling Green beat NMU, 1-2, in OT in the CCHA play-in game
- Last post-season series against Bowling Green was in 1982 when the Falcons swept the Wildcats.
- NMU’s longest game lasted 91:23 (4 OT) and was against Ohio State in 1979.