Press Box

Angie Leckson
Angie Leckson


BIG RAPIDS, Mich. – Kelsey Deacon played a total of 43 of a possible 45 minutes against the Ferris State University Bulldogs Saturday afternoon, but it was not enough. NMU up by seven points at the half (27-20) as the score was tied 47-all at the end of regulation with Ferris pulling out a 57-50 win in overtime.
With the overtime loss the Wildcats fall to 12-11 overall and 7-11 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC). The Bulldogs improve to 9-13 and 7-11 respectively.
With the score tied six-all about four minutes and change into the game the ‘Cats scored five points in a row to take the 11-6 lead. Deacon accounted for four of the five points. Ferris tied the game at 11-all with just under 11 minutes left in the first half before going on a 5-0 run to take a 16-11 lead with 9:39 left in the half. Brynn Larsen tied the game with a jumper at 2:34 for a 20-all game. NMU then scored the next seven points in a row on two lay-ups by Erin Powers and a three-pointer by Christa Erickson to go into the locker room (27-20).
Within the first couple of minutes of the second half the ‘Cats had a 12-point lead twice. Steffani Stoeger hit a three-pointer at 18:54 for a 32-20 game. Kellie Rietveld converted a lay-up at 17:40 for another 12-point cushion at 34-22 (17:40). The Bulldogs used an 11-0 run to cut the NMU lead to 34-33 at 12:25. After Ferris took over the lead 35-34 Deacon gave NMU the lead back (36-35) before the Bulldogs converted a three-point play. With 7:19 remaining in regulation the Bulldogs extended its lead to five points after a three-pointer (41-36). Angie Leckson’s three-point play at 5:59 tied the game and then NMU took the one-point lead (42-41). About two minutes later, Deacon gave the ‘Cats a three-point lead after her jumper (44-41). With less than two minutes left in regulation, Leckson again converted a three-point play for a four-point lead (47-43). The Bulldogs scored the final four points of regulation to send the game to overtime.
The home team led the entire five minutes. NMU only scored three points in the overtime period on a made free throw by Leckson and a lay-up by Stoeger.
Deacon ended the game as the leading scorer with 16 points. Leckson ended the contest with 13 points. Ashley Fleming and Teghan Thelen led the Bulldogs with 13 points each. Erin Powers added a team-high nine rebounds while Leckson added eight. Deacon (4) and Rietveld (3) accounted for seven of the 10 assists on the day.
NMU was only 1-8 from the floor (12.5 percent) in the overtime period and ended the game 18-60 (30 percent). The ‘Cats were a bit chilly from three-point land as the team was 4-23 (17.4 percent). NMU from the charity stripe was 10-13 (76.9 percent). The home team had the advantage off the glass with a 45-36 count.
The ‘Cats will play its two final regular season home games this coming week. First up is a clash with Hillsdale Thursday (Feb. 19) and then Findlay Saturday (Feb. 21).
### NMU ###

Prepared By
David Faiella
Sports Information Director