Press Box

Kelsey Deacon
Kelsey Deacon


DETROIT, Mich. – The Northern Michigan University women’s basketball team dropped its second Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) basketball game of the season to Wayne State University Saturday afternoon.  NMU shot in the 30 percent range for both halves and dropped the game 78-63.
With the loss the Wildcats are now 4-2 overall on the season and 0-2 in the GLIAC. The Warriors improve to 2-3 and 1-1 respectively.
NMU scored the first basket of the game to take the 2-0 lead thanks to Angie Leckson. NMU tied the score twice within the next three minutes. Leckson made one of her two free throws at 16:52 to even the score at six-all. Kellie Rietveld at 16:08 tied the score at eight-all after a lay-up. The ‘Cats would not score again until 10:30 left in the first half when Leckson sank both of her free throws for a 16-10 score. Rietveld cut the WSU lead to one (18-17) at 7:11 when she converted a three-point play. Over the next three minutes or so the Warriors went on a 10-4 run to take a 28-21 lead with a little over four minutes left in the half. Kelsey Deacon hit back-to-back jumpers to get the ‘Cats within three (28-25) with 3:38 showing on the clock. WSU would close out the half with a five-point burst before Deacon hit a jumper with five seconds left in the half. NMU went into the locker room trailing 33-27 at the half.
WSU opened up the second half with a 6-0 run right out of the gate. Rietveld scored NMU’s first basket of the half at 17:21 with a jumper (39-29). NMU did get the WSU lead to less than 10 points on a Cassie Hegbloom three-pointer and two free throws by Rietveld (41-34). After a made WSU basket, Brynn Larsen hit a jumper at 14:45 to again have the ‘Cats within eight (44-36). From that point the Warriors built a double-digit lead. NMU did cut it to nine points with 10:08 left in the game on a Christa Erickson lay-up (52-43). With less than five minutes left in the game the Warriors had its largest lead at 67-49. Deacon made seven free throws in a row with a little over two minutes left in the game to 1:24.  
Deacon led all scorers with 21 points. Rietveld added 13 while Erickson had 10 points. Leckson and Erickson each had six rebounds to lead NMU. Joy Nash led WSU with 19 points.
NMU shot 35.2 percent from the floor for the 40 minutes of play (19-54). From the arc the ‘Cats were 6-17 (35.3 percent). Four of the three-pointers came from Deacon and Erickson with two each. NMU was 19-26 from the free throw line (73.1 percent). The ‘Cats won the battle along the glass with a 41-40 edge.
The ‘Cats face Michigan Tech in Houghton next Saturday (Dec. 13) for its third and final game of its road swing.
### NMU ###

Prepared By
David Faiella
Sports Information Director