April 16, 2007
Area Businesses Support Olympic Month
MARQUETTE—Marquette County businesses are trying to help send athletes to the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing through such things as car oil changes, pizza dinners and vehicle sales. Twenty-five businesses and organizations are a part of the United States Olympic Education Center’s annual Olympic Month taking place during the month of April.
Established to help keep the Olympic dream alive in Marquette County, Olympic Month allows local businesses to make contributions or donate a percentage of April’s sales to the USOEC scholarship program.
With two weeks remaining, $2,250 has already been raised to assist the USOEC.
“Olympic month allows community members to support both local businesses and the resident athletes at the USOEC by visiting their favorite restaurants, hotels and grocery stores,” said Doug Reese, USOEC marketing coordinator.
Community members are encouraged to support the following businesses that are contributing a percentage of their April sales to the USOEC:
· Econo Foods Marquette – percentage of Coca-Cola sales
· Fox Negaunee – Olympic license plate on every new GM vehicle sold
· Jack’s IGA Food Harvey – percentage of Coca-Cola sales
· Jeff’s Domino’s Pizza – percentage of pizza sales
· Jim’s Jubilee Ishpeming – percentage of Coca-Cola sales
· Jim’s Jubilee Negaunee – percentage of Coca-Cola sales
· Joseph’s SuperValue Ishpeming – percentage of Coca-Cola sales
· The Landmark Inn – percentage of room nights
· Larry’s Family Foods – Gwinn – percentage of coca-coal sales
· Nordic Bay Lodge – percentage of room nights
· The Pasta Shop – 25 cents of every pizza bread sold
· Pizza Hut – percentage of sales on “eat with an athlete night”, Sunday, April 22
· Super One Foods Marquette – percentage of Coca-Cola sales
· Super One Foods Negaunee – percentage of Coca-Cola sales
· Superior Quick Lube & Wash – percentage of oil changes
· Upfront and Company – five percent of food sales every Wednesday
· Valles Village Market (formerly Jack’s) – percentage of Coca-Cola sales
Community members are also encouraged to patronize the following area businesses that made Olympic Month donations: Employee Benefits Agency, Marquette County Labor Council, Mike Koskiniemi Personal Training, Subway, Super 8 Motel, The Spa, U.P. Plumbers and Pipefitters and Wal-Mart.
To learn more about the USOEC, Olympic Month or how you can help keep the Olympic dream alive in Marquette County, please log on to www.usoec.nmu.edu or call (906) 227-2888.