Work Experience

What can you put on your resume when you apply for a professional job or graduate school? In addition to your BSW degree, work experience is invaluable. It's common for professional positions to be advertised internally before making general announcements. Many of our BSW graduates secure professional jobs in the same agencies where they worked or volunteered prior to graduation. Many students want to work or need to work in order to continue their education, so why not combine your need for income with professional enhancement? The following agencies have provided excellent opportunities for students in the local area. Similar organizations are available in other communities.

Marquette County Youth Home (225-1437)
This is a unlocked residential center for children who have been or are in the process of being adjudicated and need an environment slightly more restrictive than their own homes. Not only do the workers work at the youth home but they are employed as in-home detention workers and as transporters for the juvenile court. They hire social work students or other student in human service field who have at least 30 college credits as child care workers. The youth home is administered through the Marquette Probate Court.

Great Lakes Recovery Youth Treatment Center (906-228-9699)
Great Lakes is a residential treatment center for adolescents who are chemically addicted. They frequently hire part time staff and like to hire students.

Lutheran Social Services (906-226-7410)
LSS is a multi-service agency that employs care providers who assist at the transitional living house in the pantry and the drop- in center.

Adult Learning Systems (906-226-6178)
This agency operates two residential centers for adults who are mentally challenged. They hire direct care workers.

Pathways to Healthy Living (formerly Community Mental Health) For more information, call the community relations cffice at 906-233-1288 or 1-888-728-4929, extension 31288.

This community mental health agency primarily serves the mentally ill and developmentally disabled populations and their families. They typically employ people in positions such as aids, life skills technicians and transporters.

Life skills technicians work in community support services and residential programs. Responsibilities include: supportive tasks in the care, training, safety and general well being of recipients in community living support/community support services. A high school diploma or GED, or equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education is needed. The programs prefer one year of experience working in the human services field. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age. Applicants are will be screened as they come in and train after being hired.

Mental health aides work on call as needed.Salary $9.12/hr.. They perform supportive tasks such as assisting families and recipients with challenging behaviors and working with families as part of a team approach in the family homes. A high school diploma or GED, or equivalent combination of experience, is needed. Training and/or education, relevant training for the mental health aide is provided by the agency. You need to have a negative TB test before actually working as well as a physical if offered employment. Prior experience working with developmental disabilities or mental illness is preferred. Experience in carrying out behavioral plans and two professional references attesting to one's ability to carry out plans.