The Council on social Work Education requires a minimum 400 clock hours of field instruction for a BSW degree
- NMU requires 8 credit hours of field instruction: SW 480 (4 credits) and SW 481 (4 credits). Usually this translates into about 15 hours per week for 30 weeks during the senior year for a total of 450 hours. A minimum of 400 hours is required for a passing grade.
- A Field Instructors should have either an MSW Degree or a BSW degree with experience. Exceptions can be made with additional supervision provided by NMU faculty.
- Only students who have been admitted to the advanced BSW curriculum and who have a GPA of at least 2.5 are eligible for placement.
- The NMU Field Coordinator arranges prospective placements between the student and agency. Field agencies interview each prospective student (typically in April) before the placement is approved for the following Fall.
- Each student prepares a learning agreement with assistance from the field instructor; this learning agreement operationalizes how the student will address CSWE competencies during field placement. The learning agreement is reviewed and revised each term.
- Field students are concurrently enrolled in a seminar while in placement.
- An NMU faculty member is the instructor of record and serves as the NMU liaison with the agency field instructor.
- Students provide a weekly log of activities to their Field Instructor and the Field Placement Coordinator to document hours.
- The field instructor completes a rating form each semester as part of the student evaluation process assessing competency development
- Students also complete a self-assessment each term of their competency development.
- Field placement is graded on a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory basis. The NMU faculty liaison is responsible for assigning the semester grade.
The social work program maintains a special web page on share.nmu.edu just for current and prospective field instructors. It’s a convenient site for accessing all field instruction related materials such as student evaluation forms, student learning agreement materials and aids for planning and supervising a field placement. You can also complete a field instructor training program. Field instructors can receive CEUs toward Michigan social work licensure both for completing an on-line training program and for supervising a student. Contact the Social Work Program Director, Dr. Abigail Wyche for details.
This is a special site on share.nmu.edu devoted to students who are applying for a field placement. Students will be added as participants on this site when they are enrolled in SW 370 and SW 372.
For more information, please contact:
Abigail Wyche, Social Work Department Head
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Avenue
Marquette, MI 49855