The NMU Purchasing Department is charged with the responsibility of conducting the purchasing function in a manner that results in the greatest benefit for the university and which will be accomplished in accordance with ethical practices of the purchasing profession. The National Association of Educational Buyers (NAEB), the professional organization of educational purchasing agents, has a code of ethics that governs the relationships the Purchasing Department should have with individuals and departments within the institution and with suppliers and friends of the institution. The Purchasing Department of Northern Michigan University subscribes to this code.
NAEB Code of Ethics
- Give first consideration to the objectives and policies of my institution.
- Strive to obtain the maximum value for each dollar of expenditure.
- Decline personal gifts or gratuities.
- Grant all competitive suppliers equal consideration insofar as state or federal statute and institutional policy permit.
- Conduct business with potential and current suppliers in an atmosphere of good faith, devoid of intentional misrepresentation.
- Demand honesty in sales representation whether offered through the medium of a verbal or written statement, an advertisement, or a sample of the products.
- Receive consent of originator of proprietary ideas and designs before using them for competitive purchasing purposes.
- Make every reasonable effort to negotiate an equitable and mutually agreeable settlement of any controversy with a supplier, and/or be willing to submit any major controversies to arbitration or other third-party review, insofar as the established policies of my institution permit.
- Accord a prompt and courteous reception insofar as conditions permit to all who call on legitimate business missions.
- Cooperate with trade, industrial and professional associations, and with governmental and private agencies for the purposes of promoting and developing sound business methods.
- Foster fair, ethical and legal trade practices.
- Counsel and cooperate with NAEB members and promote a spirit of unity and keen interest in professional growth among them.