Processing Purchase Requisitions and Orders
Northern Michigan University observes a uniform procedure for the purchase of materials, services, equipment and other supplies from vendors.
The Purchasing staff performs all purchasing activity and related operations with the following exceptions:
- Authorized Purchasing Card purchases.
- The director of the university library places orders for books, magazines, periodicals and subscriptions for the Lydia Olsen Library;
- Foodstuffs and materials utilized in the residence hall quads is approved by the associate director - Auxiliary Services;
- Bookstore stock is purchased by the assistant director of University Center/Bookstore;
- Learning Resources film purchases authorized by audio visual materials supervisor;
- Purchases by the Health Center administrator for drugs and related items.
Procedure: An employee who wishes to purchase supplies, equipment and services that exceeds $2,500 does the following:
- Prepares a purchase requisition;
- Attaches any available documentary information to the purchase requisition that will assist the purchasing agent in evaluating the request.
- Obtains an authorized signature.
- Forwards the completed purchase requisition to the Purchasing department.
- Receives a copy of the purchase order from Purchasing and files it for reference.