The College of Health Sciences and Professional Studies has a multifaceted mission within Northern Michigan University, offering programs from the certificate through graduate levels and contributing courses to the university-wide liberal studies program.
Comprised of three schools, nine departments and the Seaborg Center, the college prepares highly qualified graduates in many areas. Of prime importance is the quality of teaching provided - teaching that is enhanced through faculty research, creative endeavors and practical experience. Students benefit from active field-based courses that provide hands-on experiences and an opportunity to put theory into practice. Many of the schools and departments provide professional development programs, as well as continuing education, for practitioners. The college is also involved with the advancement of interdisciplinary study and promotion of intra-professional collaboration through innovative programs, instruction, scholarship and service.
Faculty within the college are committed to integrating technology into the teaching/learning process. Upon graduation, students have the capability to utilize the latest innovative technologies in their respective professions and disciplines.
- All NMU teacher education programs are fully accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- The bachelor of social work program is fully accredited by the Council for Social Work Education.
- Criminal Justice graduates have a 72 percent placement rate and the department offers a bachelor's degree program and a master's degree program online.
- Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences, Clinical Sciences and Nursing graduates have above a 90 percent job placement rate after graduation.
- All eligible programs in the Clinical Sciences and Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences departments and the School of Nursing are accredited by their respective agencies and/or are state or nationally approved.
- The Health and Human Performance department provides quality programs in both undergraduate and graduate studies and is housed in a complex of facilities that provide outstanding opportunities for teaching, learning, recreation and sports.
- The School of Technology and Applied Sciences offers nearly three dozen programs and several skill upgrade courses designed to prepare individuals for careers in industry and enhance community development.