Paying For College
Paying for a college education is undoubtedly a foremost concern for your family. At Northern, we are committed to providing your son or daughter with a quality education at a reasonable cost. How do we do it? Consider the facts:
- We offer one of the lowest combined tuition and room and board rates among state institutions in Michigan.
- Out-of-state students are encouraged to compare NMU's costs with other regional universities. Students who qualify, automatically receive a $4,000 scholarship that makes Northern an economical choice.
- 83 percent of Northern students receive financial assistance.
- We processed nearly $84 million in financial aid last year.
- Our average financial aid package is more than $10,700 per student.
- We intend to continue this level of commitment, not only for those students who, without such assistance, could not attend Northern, but also for those who deserve to be recognized for their academic performance, talent, or leadership ability.
- We choose from a wide variety of financial aid resources for you:
- Grants and scholarships (which do not have to be repaid).
- Part-time, on campus employment.
- Low-interest loans (most of which are repaid after you leave college).
- Payment plans.