Winter 2018 Online Orientation: Unavailable
Summer 2018 Online Orientation: Unavailable
We will continue to offer the traditional on-campus session for students, however, transfer students are able to complete the Orientation Program online. The online orientation is intended for students who have been college or university students for a year or more or for transfer students who work more independently.
- Transfer students with less than 12 post-high school college-level credits are not eligible for our online orientation. If you do not have the credits, or they have not been possessed you will not be able to register for the Online Orientation. If you are expecting 12 or more credits prior to starting at NMU please contact your admissions counselor to discuss this option.
- This option is not available for students majoring in Art and Design. Art and Design transfer students must attend one of the on-campus orientation sessions.
- The session might not have started. Students are able to register for the orientation but may not be able to start the online orientation until the session has begun. Sessions do not begin until sufficient information has been collected for the Fall 2018 school year.
- To register for the online orientation program, admitted transfer students may log into the orientation reservation system. The online orientation program will be available to students who have registered for the Winter session, with course registration beginning in November. Students will be notified via e-mail that the system is open and again when they are eligible to register for courses.
Once available, an online orientation link will appear on the ‘Admitted to NMU’ tab in MyNMU.
Once logged into the online orientation system, transfer students have access to the following resources:
- A series of informational presentations on topics including academic policies, graduation and program requirements, information about transferring credits, contact information for academic departments, and on-campus resources such as the Dean of Students Office, Academic and Career Advisement Center, Center for Student Enrichment, etc.
- A downloadable checklist of things to do after orientation, before attending NMU
- A discussion forum for incoming students to ask questions and connect with each other
- Downloadable documents traditionally contained in the orientation binder, including information about campus life, finances, a campus directory and map, etc.
The online orientation should take approximately an hour to complete; the system will save the student's progress and will allow the user to log out and back in. Once a student views each portion and successfully completes a quiz about each, the orientation program is complete and the orientation hold will be lifted. At that point, the student will be able to register for courses. Completing the online orientation takes the place of attending an on-campus orientation session.