Saturday, October 28, 2017
Service requests (for individuals that would like volunteers to come to their home for a fall clean-up) are due on Friday, September 29, in the Center for Student Enrichment, 1205 University Center. Make a Difference Day Service Request Form 2017
Volunteer registrations (for individuals or student groups that would like to volunteer for Make A Difference Day) are due on Friday, October 13, in the Center for Student Enrichment, 1205 University Center. Make a Difference Day Volunteer Registration Form 2017
A National Event
- Created in 1990 by USAWeekend, Make A Difference Day is a national event celebrating neighbors helping neighbors.
- Make A Difference Day is one of the largest annual single-days of service nationwide. Tens of thousands of volunteers across the country unite on the fourth Saturday in October (October 27, 2018 and October 26, 2019) with a common mission: to improve the lives of others through a wide range of community-driven service projects.
- Approximately 250,000 service projects are done per year in 30 different countries. There are 30 million hours of volunteer services per year with an estimated $635 million annual dollar value of volunteer hours.
Marquette County Make A Difference Day
- Northern Michigan University’s Make A Difference Day initiative has brought in over 1,000 volunteers to rake leaves for elderly people in the Marquette community.
- Presented by the NMU Volunteer Center, this event involves student groups who rake made yards over the course of the day. Groups must provide their own transportation to areas that include Marquette, Negaunee, Ishpeming, Big Bay, Palmer, and Republic. Starting in 2018, Make A Difference Day will narrow its focus to the residents of Marquette, Negaunee, and Ishpeming.
- Volunteers arrive at the University Center at 8 a.m. on the day of the event for a free breakfast and t-shirt pick up.
Sponsors include Wells Fargo, Lowe’s of Marquette, Loyaltees, NMU's Dining Services, and NMU's Center for Student Enrichment.