Online or on campus, registering for courses at Northern Michigan University is the same. The first step is you must be an admitted student. Once admitted, you must have completed an on-campus or online orientation.
If you are a returning student, you should check to be sure that there are no registration holds on your student account. Additional details about the various types of holds that could keep you from registering are explained at NMU's hold policy.
Remember, for fall and spring registration, you will have an assigned time, which is the earliest point at which you will have access to the registration program. You can register any time after your assigned time. Summer College registration does not require an assigned registration time.
With those details taken care of, you’re set to register for courses. Your first step is to go to MyNMU.edu, then follow these steps:
- Enter your user ID and password*;
- Click the Student Services folder tab;
- Click the Academic Services folder tab;
- Under the Registration heading, click Add or Drop Classes;
- Select the appropriate term, (i.e. Fall 2008) and click Submit;
- Your registration time is displayed. You may begin registering for classes at that time.
- To register, simply put the course registration numbers (CRN) in the boxes at the bottom of the Add/Drop Classes option. If you discover a conflict or if the computer indicates a problem, such as a time conflict, you can drop a course on this same page.
- Be sure that if your course requires a lecture along with a lab and/or discussion group, you have registered for all required parts of the course. When students get an error message that won’t allow them to register for a particular course it is usually because a part of the course is missing. Lectures, labs and discussion groups will all have CRNs.
*Students who do not know or have forgotten their user ID and password can go to myuser.nmu.edu to look it up or reset it.
Here are some registration tips:
- Check on the Web at mynmu.nmu.edu for any registration holds.
- Know your (e-mail) user ID and password. Students who do not know or have forgotten their user ID and password can go to myuser.nmu.edu to look it up or reset it.
- You can prepare for registration by reviewing the available classes at Course Offerings on MyNMU.edu well in advance of your assigned registration time.
- On a grid sheet, plot out the courses you have selected to ensure that there are no time conflicts between the courses.
- Have an alternate schedule plan.
- Call the HelpDesk at 906-227-2468 if you do not see the Student Services tab in My.NMU.edu.
- If you experience problems you cannot resolve while registering for courses, contact the Student Service Center, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday through Friday at 906-227-1221 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you experience computer-related registration problems, contact the HelpDesk, at email@example.com or 906-227-2468.