New Jamrich Hall Planning Update
Above is an artist's rendition of the front of New Jamrich, which was first shown to the finance committee of the NMU Board of Trustees as part of their update on facilities projects. Soon after, the full board approved a recommendation that the new building retain the name John X. Jamrich Hall.
Construction began April 2013, and is currently on schedule for completion in fall 2014 (see timeline below). The building is located between the Learning Resources Center and Hedgcock. It's construction has also met LEED certification standards. New Jamrich will house five academic department offices. Those relocating to Jamrich Hall will be the sociology and anthropology department; the social work department; the English department; the math and computer science department; and the criminal justice department.
Below, an artists rendition of the new building from the back.
As New Jamrich nears completion, Old Jamrich's demolition begins. Many of the furnishings from the building have been repurposed elsewhere on campus or to organizations within the community. For a full list of repurposed items and their final destination, click here.
Below is a picture of New Jamrich Hall's location. Previously, the area was a parking lot in between the Hedgcock Building and the Learning Resource Center. A new parking lot was added directly southwest of the current Jamrich Hall to replace the loss of parking. Compare the new layout with the current map of campus at www.nmu.edu/map.
(Click to enlarge)
- January 2013: Submit preliminary design documents for state approval
- February - March 2013: Submit series of building proposals for state approval
- May - November 2013: Exterior construction phase
- November 2013 - July 2014: Interior construction phase
- August 2014: Full occupancy
- Monday, June 9 : Roof will begin to come down
- Monday, June 16: Bridge between West Science and Jamrich will start being dismantled
- Monday, June 23: Demolition will begin on the main structure