Message from the Director
November 2, 2016
Boozhoo! Greetings Students and Friends:
On behalf of the NMU Center for Native American Studies team, miigwech (thank you) for visiting our website. November is Native American Heritage Month! Here is a list of activities happening on campus to honor Native culture, history, story, and dance.
The faculty team at the Center is also gearing up for the winter 2017 semester. We will once again be offering a diverse and enriching array of Native American Studies classes including online classes. Our Center also offers…
- the only baccalaureate degree in Native American Studies in the state of Michigan,
- an associate degree in general university studies with a concentration in NAS,
- a twenty-four credit interdisciplinary NAS minor,
- a TEDNA-endorsed undergraduate certification in American Indian education,
- a TEDNA-endorsed concentration of online courses towards a Master of Arts degree in Educational Administration: American Indian Education Administration and Supervision,
- several courses that fulfill liberal studies and the world cultures requirements,
- a resource room filled with books, articles, films and more, and
- an outdoor fire site for NAS classroom visits, and
- support for the American Indian Science and Engineering Society and the Native American Student Association.
The Center also strives to keep students and community members informed about items relevant to Native American Studies including internship opportunities, scholarships and grants, conferences and cultural events, language lessons and news bits.
Be sure to also visit the Center on Facebook, Twitter [@NMU_CNAS] and Flickr. Listen to Public Radio 90 [WNMU-FM] Fridays for Anishinaabe Radio News, a weekly program with insights to Native American Studies and news from Indian Country.
The Center is located in 112 Whitman Hall at the corner of Norway Street and Fair Avenue in Marquette, Michigan. The Center is open 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday-Friday ET. We hope you will visit us soon.
April E. Lindala, NMU Alum '97, '03, '06
Director of the NMU Center for Native American Studies
Associate Professor of English
Archives:Winter 2013 Message from Director
Fall 2012 Message from Director
Fall 2010 Message from Director
Summer 2010 Message from Director
Winter 2010 Message from Director
Fall 2009 Message from Director
Summer 2009 Message from Director
Winter 2009 Message from Director
Fall 2008 Addendum from Director
Fall 2008 Message from Director
Summer 2008 Message from Director
Winter 2008 Message from Director