GEAR UP -- Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs
Mission: The mission of the federal GEAR UP program, administered by the U.S. Department of Education, is to significantly increase the number of low-income students who are prepared to enter and succeed in post secondary education. This is done by promoting academic excellence through a variety of locally designed and innovative early intervention services.
NMU's GEAR UP grant is also supported by the King Chavez Parks Initiative College Day Program. Together, these grants help to support the students at North Star Academy.
2016 GEAR UP Spring Break Trip - Chicago
GEAR UP will be going to CHICAGO for Spring Break, March 28th till April 1st. This trip is all expenses paid for (students must bring their own spending money for souvenirs). We will be touring five schools: Milwaukee School of Engineering, North Park University, Kendall College, School of the Art Institute of Chicago and Columbia College. There will also be fun and educational workshops mixed in the program relating to First Generation students as well as STEM projects. The students will have the opportunity to visit the many beautiful parks in the city including the famous Millennium Park and Cloud Gate. Students will also be able to tour the Sears/Willis Tower and check out the SkyDeckTM. We will also be checking out the Chicago Cultural Center. Our group is staying in near the Chicago River in the heart of the city. Apply today! **Applications due March 4** Click here for an application.
2012 GEAR UP College Day Scholarship Recipients
GEAR UP would like to congratulate the following students for receiving the 2012 GEAR UP College Day Scholarship.
|Student Name||School Attending|
|Rachel Rautio||Central Michigan University|
|Parichatr Asavesna||Northern Michigan University|
|Kayla Dishon||Ferris State University|
|Alexzandra Sales||Northern Michigan University|
|Lacy Whitcomb||Northern Michigan University|
|Joseph Duckworth||Northern Michigan University|
Come check us out on the GEAR UP Facebook for more information, to see cool pictures, and to be our friends.
For information on planning and paying for college click here.
Click here for Federal Pell Grant and the TIP (Tuition Incentive Program).
GEAR UP funds are also used to provide college scholarships to low-income students. See GU/CD Scholarship above.
The EduGuide: Partnership for Learning provides another avenue for scholarships.
Fastest Growing Occupations
1. Network Systems and Data Communications Analyst ($18,610--96,860)
2. Physician Assistant ($16,460--74,390)
3. Medical Assistants ($16,460--74,390)
4. Medical Records and Health Information Technicians ($16,460--74,390)
5. Computer Application Software Engineers ($18,610--96,860)
6. Physical Therapist Aides ($16,460--74,390)
7. Fitness Trainers and Aerobics Instructors ($7.09--26.22 hourly)
8. Database Administrators (16,460--74,390)
9. Veterinary Technologists and Technicians ($16,170--33,750)
10.Dental Hygienists ($8.45--39.24 hourly)
For more information click here
Michigan's Hottest Careers
1. Engineering Managers ($52.93)
2. Construction Managers ($44.21)
3. Education Administrators, Postsecondary (42.49)
4. Management Analysts ($42.26)
5. Medical and Health Services Managers ($39.61)
6. Personal Financial Advisors ($38.82)
7. Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary ($38.53)
8. Physician Assistants ($38.10)
9. Computer Software Engineers, Systems Software ($38.08)
10.Computer Systems Analysts ($37.54)
For more hot careers click here
Michigan Private Colleges and Universities
Is a private school the right choice for you? Michigan private colleges and universities offer a wide range of education programs with degrees and certificates up to the doctoral level, as well as professional degrees such as law and medicine. Some private colleges and universities have a religious affiliation and others are secular. Private colleges and universities may be profit or non-profit institutions. More information on private institutions can be found here.
Check out these resources that can assist in your preparation for furthering your education.