Army ROTC remains the broadest path for young men and women seeking to serve the nation as officers in the Army to achieve their goal. At the beginning of School Year 2008-2009 a total of 30,721 college students were enrolled in the Army ROTC program.
Army ROTC is the college elective that teaches decision making, management skills, leadership and discipline that will enhance the cadet’s future success in either a military or a civilian career.
The majority of officers serving in today’s Army got their start through the Army ROTC program.
Since it was formally organized in 1916, more than a half million men and women have become Army officers through the Army ROTC program.
More than half of the General Officers in the Active Component of the Army got their start through the ROTC program.
Prominent graduates of the Army ROTC program include:
- Colin Powell – Former U.S. Secretary of State and former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- Samuel Alito – Supreme Court Justice
- Sam Walton – Founder of Wal-Mart
- Lenny Wilkens – Basketball great and coach
- Earl Graves – Chairman and Publisher of Black Enterprise Magazine
- Nancy Sherlock Currie – Space Shuttle astronaut
- Lou Holtz – Legendary football coach
- Peter Schoomaker – Recently retired Chief of Staff of the Army
- James Earl Jones – Famed Actor
- Robert Novak – Syndicated newspaper columnist and CNN panelist
- George W. Casey, Jr. – Chief of Staff of the Army