Talk to your unit about earning a college degree at NMU and determine initial eligibility requirements for GI Bill tuition assistance benefits. Once enrolled, join ROTC by signing up for MS139: Leadership & Confidence Building (1-credit) and MS269: Army Physical Fitness Training (1-credit) to take advantage of all that SMP has to offer.
For assistance in applying for tuition assistance, contact Mark Blumenthal, our Scholarships and Enrollment Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (906) 227-2687.
SMP TUITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
The Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) is a volunteer officer training program that allows Army National Guard (ARNG) and Army Reserve (USAR) enlisted members to participate in the ROTC program, earn their college degree, and gain their commission as an Army officer.
- Up to $4,000 State/Federal Tuition Assistance
- NMU Tuition Grant (covers up to 45% of tuition)
- Montgomery GI Bill ($329/mo) & Kicker ($350/mo) benefits (if eligible)
- $200+ monthly drill and annual training pay
- Monthly living allowance (Ten months)
- Sophomore (MS II Cadets) = $350 per month
- Junior (MS III Cadets) = $450 per month
- Senior (MS IV Cadets) = $500 per month
- Be a US citizen
- Be between the ages of 17 and 26
- Completion of Basic Training and Advanced Individual Training (AIT)
- Have at least four years left of current enlistment obligation
- Sophomore or higher college academic standing
- Full-time student enrollment status
- Have a college GPA of at least 2.00
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Meet physical standards
- Pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) with a score of 180 or higher
- Pass a DODMERB physical
- An eight-year service commitment with the Army as an officer. This can be fulfilled by:
- Serving full-time in the Army on Active Duty, if selected, for 4 years followed by 4 years with the ARNG, USAR, or Individual Ready Reserve (IRR)
- Serving part-time in the Army Reserve or Army National Guard for 8 years while pursuing a civilian career. This includes 3-6 months of Active Duty for initial training.