May 2012 McNair Graduates
Take a moment to check out what our May 2012 McNair graduates are up to!!
Mike Michalek, out in the field and working on his thesis project at the Muskegon River, as a graduate student at Michigan State University.
Kate Abrahamsson- Class of 2012- Graduated with honors
- Kate was accepted into the Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology Ph.D. program at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville.
- Kate also was awarded the PEER fellowship at UT-Knoxville as well.
- Helina plans on taking time off before graduate school, and prior to graduating from NMU had interviews with the Peace Corps. Helina hopes to work with the Peace Corps for two years prior to attending graduate school.
- During the summer of 2012, Helina worked also work as an intern in Congressman Keith Ellison's District Office.
Joe Masters- Class of 2012
- Joe was accepted into the George Warren Brown School of Social Work to begin work on his Master of Social Work degree in Fall 2012. Joe received full funding to begin his graduate work.
Michael Michalek- Class of 2012- Graduated with honors
- Mike was accepted to the Geography program at Michigan State University to begin his graduate work in Fall 2012.
- Mike also received a research assistantship at Michigan State University, covering the full costs of his graduate work.
- In September 2012, Mike shared with the McNair office that he had been assigned a thesis adviser and his thesis topic had been approved. He will be examining the evolution and natural progression of the Muskegon River in Michigan. Describing the differences of the Upper Muskegon and Lower Muskegon River's Meander Geometry/Sinuosity, Cutbanks/Point Bars, Velocity, and Sediment loads
Tracy Pickering- Class of 2012- Graduated with honors
- Tracy was accepted to teach abroad for a year in South Korea and will be pursuing graduate school options upon her return from teaching abroad.
- In October 2012, Tracy shared with the McNair office that she is loving her experiences in Korea so far and is teaching English at three different schools....and really enjoying the food!
Justine Pinskey- Class of 2012- Graduated with honors
- Justine was accepted to begin her Ph.D. with the Program in Biomedical Sciences at the University of Michigan.
- With her University of Michigan acceptance, Justine also received full funding and was additionally awarded the Rackham Merit Fellowship.
- NMU Video highlighting Justine's experiences at NMU and the application process into a Ph.D. program
- Quentin was accepted into the Master of Science in Biology program at Northern Michigan University. With this acceptance, Quentin also received an assistantship to cover the costs of his graduate work.
Emily Sprengelmeyer- Class of 2012- Graduated with honors
- Emily was accepted to the Master of Science in Biology program at Northern Michigan University and was awarded an assistantship through the Grants and Contracts office.