The 2017 Science Olympiad sponsored by the Seaborg Center at Northern Michigan University will be held on Saturday, Feb. 25, in NMU's West Science Building (inclement weather date March 18). Each year, about 325 students from throughout the Upper Peninsula compete in 46 events facilitated by more than 125 volunteers. This marks the 30th anniversary of the Science Olympiad at the Seaborg Center.
Events for 2017 include:
- Life, Personal, & Social Science: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Invasive Species, Microbe Mission.
- Physical Sciences & Chemistry: Hovercraft, Optics, Wind Power, Crime Busters, Food Science, Chem Lab, Forensics, Materials Science.
- Earth and Space Science: Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Meteorology, Reach for the Stars, Road Scholar, Remote Sensing, Rocks and Minerals.
- Technology & Engineering: Mission Possible, Scrambler, Towers, Wright Stuff, Electric Vehicle, Helicopters, Robot Arm.
- Inquiry and Nature of Science: Bottle Rocket, Experimental Design, Fast Facts, Write It/Do It, Game On, Hydrogeology