CS302 UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION (4 Cr.)
Prerequisite: Six credit hours in CS or CIS numbered 120 or above, system administration experience, or consent of instructor.
This is a general course in Unix system administration.
- Installing an operating system
- User account management including the sharing of account information over a network
- Printer management including networked printing
- Disk management including quotas
- Network connectivity
- Sharing files over a network
- Installing various servers including a web server
- Electronic mail management
- Security in a networked environment
- Performance tuning
In addition, students will learn substantial troubleshooting skills. Security will be discussed including various attacks against a computer or network, how to detect them, and how to stop them.
This class will consist of a mixture of three components. There will be lecture presentations of new material by the instructor, and a substantial number of meetings in a laboratory setting intended to solve the real world problems presented by the material.