Study Abroad Program Models*
NMU is a member of several academic consortia with programs sponsored by partner universities in the United States.
- Selected programs offered through the Midwest Consortium for Study Abroad (MCSA) and its partner NCSA, in partnership with AHA International.
- JCMU: Japan Center for Michigan Universities. NMU has a proud tradition of sending students for this intensive language and cultural program, located on the shores of Lake Biwa in the city of Hikone. The program offers multiple scholarship opportunities and has a summer internship/study program in environmental science.
- Study centers coordinated through CIEE (Council for International Education Exchange).
NMU also has partner agreements with third-party organizations. Partner programs offer competitive scholarship opportunities to qualified students.
- ISA (International Studies Abroad)
- GlobaLinks (formerly Asia-, Austra- and Euro-Learn)
- Edge Hill University, (Ormskirk, England - based in the north west of England, offering undergraduate and postgraduate courses, research and knowledge transfer services.)
Bi-Lateral Exchange Programs
Exchange programs are based on an even flow of students and faculty between partner universities. Applications are coordinated on an individual basis between coordinating officers at each school, and tuition is paid at the home university.
IBSEN (International Business Studies Exchange Network) features international business studies with a special focus on case studies and project-based learning:
Other International Exchange Partners:
- Haaga-Helia University, Helsinki, Finland - with an emphasis on business management and hospitality studies, offered in English.
- Kajaani University of Applied Sciences, Finland - Located in Marquette's Sister City in northern Finland. The university specializes in business management and hospitality services.
- University of Oldenburg, Germany - Unlike many German universities, Oldenburg models its programs after the U.S. semester structure and offers a variety of courses taught in English.
- Linnaeus University, Sweden (formerly Vaxjo University). Linnaeus is a regional university with programs and courses similar to NMU's - especially strong in the areas of business, education and environmental sustainability, but with a wide variety of courses in the humanities.
- Myongji University, Korea - Learn about the Korean culture and language, while getting real life experience.
- Universidad Federal da Rural Amazon & Universidade Federal de Lavras, Brazil - A Brazilian and U.S. Partnership for People, Planet and Profits: Fostering Socially, Environmentally, and Economically Sustainable Entrepreneurship.
* Even though you may study abroad through one of these NMU partner organizations, it is still considered an NMU study abroad program.