Filing Taxes for International Students


Every student that was enrolled in classes in the USA at anytime in the year 2016 is required to submit some kind of income tax form. In addition, any dependent (F-2 or J-2 visa holder) also needs to complete one form. 

The type of forms you are required to fill out depends on many different  things. This page is designed to help you figure out which forms you need to fill out and how to do so. 

Tax Forms:

What do I need to file my taxes?

In order to successfully complete your tax forms, you will need the following:

  • Passport and I-20 or DS 2019
  • W-2 forms from any and all employers you earned wages from in 2016. Typically in January, your W-2 forms are automatically mailed to you by your employers to the address they have on file for you. If you do not receive any W-2 forms by the end of January, you must contact your employer and request another W-2 form and make sure they have your correct address. If your W-2 form is from NMU, you can download it from your mynmu account. 
  • See our "Supporting Documentation" site for a list of other information you will need. 

I did not work in 2017 and I am not an athlete or a sister city scholar but was enrolled in classes. What forms do I need to fill out?

If you were enrolled in classes in 2016 but did not work, not an athlete or a sister city scholar, you will need to complete the Federal 8843 form. Click the links for the 8843 form and instructions on how to fill it out:

If you need any assistance or have any questions, please contact Angela Maki as needed. 

I worked in 2017, or I am an Athlete or Sister City Scholar. What forms do I need to fill out?

If you worked, you should have received a W2 from NMU (you can also download this from your mynmu account). A W2 is a statement of how much money you earned in 2016 and how much taxes you paid in 2016. Athletes and Sister City Scholar you will receive a 1042S for from NMU in the beginning of March that you will need to bring to one of the "Available Tax Assistance" options below. 

Tax forms you may need to complete:


1040 NREZ

W7 - this is the application for an ITIN. If you do not have a US Social Security Number or an approved ITIN, please see Angela Maki before filing your 1040 NR EZ tax form. Angela will need to certify documents for your W7 application. This application needs to be completed before you file your taxes because it must be sent it with your 1040 NR EZ tax form. 

Available Tax Assistance

NMU Beta Alpha Psi Vince Sinervo Cowell and Lapointe SprintTax
No appointment Needed Call 228-3223 for an appointment Call Mike at 228-5150 for an appointment online services
5:30-7:00 Varies Varies Anytime
Monday & Wednesday Weekdays Weekdays Anytime
Location Location Location Location
Trading Lab across from the Wildcat Den in the University Center 317 W. Washington Street
Marquette, MI  49855
101 S. Front Street #301
Marquette, MI  49855
Estimated Costs Estimated Costs Estimated Costs Estimated Costs
Free 1040 NR EZ $85.00 1040 NR EZ $125.00 $35.95 Federal
25.95 State