Transfer Student Credit Evaluations

Official Transcripts & Credential Evaluations

1. Transcripts must be sent directly to Northern Michigan University from your institution(s).

If applying for an undergraduate program and have previously earned 12 or more higher education credits, we will not need your high school transcript.

Please send official university transcript to:

Admissions Office
Northern Michigan University
1401 Presque Isle Ave
Marquette, MI 49855 USA

2. Transcripts must be translated into English by a qualified individual.

3. NMU cannot accept faxes, scanned copies, or emailed copies.

Note: If at any time we discover that transcripts have been altered, forged, or faked, your admission to our university will be terminated. This is a serious offense with serious punishments.

Note: We will accept attested, official copies for students who are issued only one official copy of their transcripts. Appropriate seals, stamps, and/or signatures are required to ensure originality.

4. Transfer students who wish to count credit earned at non-U.S. institutions of higher education towards an NMU degree are required to submit a credential evaluation performed by an external organization.  

Obtaining a credential evaluation:

In addition to submitting your official transcripts to NMU, we require external evaluation of credits for all non-U.S. colleges or universities.  Some Canadian schools, International Baccalaureate programs and American high schools abroad do not require a credit evaluation.  Please contact the Admissions Office if you have attended one of the above institutions to see if you qualify for an exception.

Below is a list of the different credential evaluators that you may use. Please select one of the following organizations. You are required to directly submit all documents (transcripts/certificates etc.) and payments the organizations require to perform the evaluation.

  1. NMU accepts evaluations from these three agencies (and others may be considered if part of NACES):

    1. Education Credential Evaluators (ECE)  This service allows applicants to submit their official educational documents only once--to ECE.  NMU would then receive the verified documents from ECE along with the credential evaluation.

    2. World Education Service (WES)  Students may elect to order the WES ICAP service.  This service allows applicants to submit their official educational documents only once--to WES. NMU would then receive the verified documents from WES along with the credential evaluation.

    3. North American Educational Group (NAEG)

If you have any questions about the credential evaluation requirement or need further assistance, please contact us at