The following list outlines the basic steps of preparing for your NMU study abroad.
- Notify International Programs that you have been formally admitted to your selected study abroad program.
- Complete all forms and procedures required by the program sponsor.
- Obtain a valid passport or check expiration dates and regulations concerning your current passport. For information about U.S. passports, consult the U.S. State Department travel Web site: www.travel.state.gov.
- Purchase your airline ticket(s) and other ground transportation.
- Research visa requirements of your host country and begin the application process.
- Choose your study abroad courses and complete the study abroad course pre-evaluation form with signatures from NMU academic department heads.
- Meet with your study abroad adviser to complete a cost-of-attendance worksheet. Schedule appointment with Financial Aid office to discuss eligibliity.
- Research and apply for scholarships and grants.
- Schedule a travel health appointment with the NMU Health Center or with your personal physician.
- Obtain health and travel insurance designed for study abroad. Most programs include coverage in their fee. If your program does not,tThe International Programs office can help you arrange comprehensive international health insurance through its contract with HTH Worldwide, a leader in study abroad coverage.
- Understand NMU mobile device regulations for study abroad and arrange for any returns or repairs prior to your departure.
- Prepare to understand your host country – its customs, news, political structure, art, religions.
- Complete the following forms required prior to your departure:
- Register your presence in the host country on the U.S. State Department’s Embassy Registration Web site.
- Pack. GO! Learn. Share. Take great photos for the annual NMU International Programs photo contest, and…
- Don’t forget to send a postcard to International Programs (1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI, 49855).