I’m Accepted…. Now What?
|NMU students in Teotihucan, Mexico.|
Once you have been accepted by your study abroad program, you will receive additional information from your provider or host university that you are responsible to complete. This pre-departure checklist will prove helpful.
Course Selection and Pre-evaluation
To pre-evaluate your courses for NMU credit, you must first obtain comprehensive course descriptions and/or syllabi for each course you intend to take abroad. Then you must complete the course evaluation sheet with your academic adviser, and finally your department head will have to sign off on your courses. Return the completed form, with course descriptions, to the study abroad coordinator. Once we receive the form, you will be automatically registered in the NMU study abroad course IP286X during your term abroad. The actual courses with letter grades will not appear on your NMU record until your host program transcript has been processed – up to 3 or 4 months after you return.
- Requests for liberal studies credit must be presented to the Registrar prior to your study abroad.
- World culture courses have specific content requirements.The Registrar’s Office will consider requests for world culture designation.
- Language courses often require a placement exam on-site.
- NMU awards letter grades for study abroad courses.Your grades will be calculated into your cumulative GPA.
- We suggest you keep copies of papers, exams and other course materials that demonstrate the content of your study abroad courses.
- Host university transcripts must be sent to International Programs to begin the transfer of credit to your NMU record.
- You remain registered as an NMU student throughout your study abroad experiences.You are responsible for observing on-campus deadlines for tuition and course registration, as well as those required by your host program/university.