International students are required to file taxes each year whether you work or not.
Information you will need for your taxes to be done:
3. I-94 Arrival/Departure Card
4. I-20 (for F1 students)
5. DS 2019 (for J1 students)
6. Bring your Social Security Number (SSN) OR Individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN)
7. W-2 - you will receive a W2 if you worked, and were paid, from NMU.
8. Form 1042-S -This is for students who receive scholarships other than the International Academic Award/Global Ambassadors Scholarship.
9. If you have OPT or CPT (and get paid) and you have Form I-766 or Form I-688B bring it to your scheduled time
10. Any other tax documents you may have received
11. Know the actual number of days you were in the U.S. for 2011, 2011, 2012 (if you have last year's taxes you can get the 2011-12 figures from there)
12. Know your academic adviser’s name and phone number
13. If you have an Employment Authorization Card, please inform the tax officers ahead of time and bring your card in.
14. Know the dates you entered/exited the U.S.A.
15. Bank routing number and account number (or bring in a checking/saving deposit slip. It has all information needed) OR
16. Have an address to where your check can be mailed to approx. 6-8 weeks after filing your taxes.