Newly Admitted Students
Welcome to NMU!
If you have been admitted to NMU, you will receive an e-mail from us, congratulating you and also informing you of a few important next steps. In addition, you will get an university acceptance package in 2-3 weeks (depending on mail speed). It will include an admissions letter, an I-20, and information about living and studying at NMU.
Below is some information to make your arrival to NMU go smoothly:
- See the International Student Checklist here.
- SEVIS - Pay your SEVIS I-901 fee. This can be done online if paid with a credit card. Please be sure to print your receipt at the end.
- Housing - Apply for housing at www.nmu.edu/housing. You will need your NMUIN and must pay a $125 housing deposit. If you are 21 years of age or older, you can apply to stay in an apartment. To do this, you will need to submit a paper application and fax it to the Housing office at 1-906-227-1423.
- Foreign Student Documentation Fee: $125.00 – this is a one time charge for all international students for their first semester. This charge covers the cost of re-certification of our SEVIS F1/J1 programs, along with the costs of shipping documentation throughout your time at NMU.
- Linen Fee/Airport Pick-up Fee: $80.00 – this is an optional fee you will be charged if you would like NMU to provide you with a blanket, pillow, pillowcase and sheets for your bed, along with picking you up from the airport and bringing you to your assigned housing. If you would like the International Programs Office to pick you up from the airport and provide bedding, please send Angela Maki an e-mail indicating this. We will then charge your student account $80.00.
- Orientation – you will need to sign up for orientation and pay the fee. Go to www.nmu.edu/welcome and click on orientation. You will not be able to register for classes or pick up your computer if you do not register and pay for orientation.
- Flight Information – You will need to schedule your flight into K.I. Sawyer International Airport in Marquette, Michigan.
To flight to K.I. Sawyer International Airport (MQT), you have only two options. You need to flight to Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) in Illinois, and then flight to K.I. Sawyer International Airport with American Airline. Or you need to flight to Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) in Michigan, and then flight to K.I. Sawyer International Airport with Delta Air Lines.
Important Note: There is 1 hour difference between Chicago and Marquette: Time zone in Chicago is Central Time Zone. Time zone in Detroit and Marquette is Eastern Time Zone. Please keep in mind time difference when you schedule your flights.
If you need help for making flight schedule, please contact Angie Maki or Tony Tollefson.
- Insurance – NMU will automatically enroll you in our insurance plan.
- Vaccinations – NMU requires all students to provide proof of receiving a Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccination. Please bring your vaccination records with you to provide to our NMU Health Center. Some students will also be required to have a Tuberculosis Test (TB)
Here are some more helpful tips:
If you have questions or concerns about a specific item, please contact the International Programs Office by e-mail: email@example.com or phone: 1-906-227-2510.