International Exchange Students
Estimated Fees (2014-15 Fall and Winter Semesters)
|Tuition and Fees||Waived||Waived|
|Room & Board||$8,954||$4,477|
|Books & Supplies||$800||$400|
|Health Insurance||$1,693 (mandatory)||$672|
|Personal & Travel||$1,850||$1251|
|Total for Academic Year||$13,297||$6,800|
Application Procedures: All exchange semesters begin with an official nomination from an international officer at your home university. Once your nomination has been accepted by NMU and you have received permission from your home school exchange officer, you are able to follow the application steps below. (Note that some international officers require you to submit your forms to the home office. They are then forwarded to NMUin a group mailing.)
1. Fill out the Application for Exchange Students
2. Provide Certification of Finances in the amount of $13,297 for one academic year (two semesters) or $6,800 for one semester.3. Transcript - Send a transcript to Northern Michigan University.
4. Passport - Provide us with a copy of your passport. This will be used to enter your name on your DS 2019 as it appears in your passport.
5. English Proficiency - TOEFL score of 61 iBT, 173 computer based or IELTS score of a 6 OR you will take a COMPASS placement test at NMU and be placed in the appropriate English composition course EN 109 (5 credits) or EN 090 (4 credits).
6. Provide a list of courses that you are interested in taking (at least 6).
a. Click on http://ssb.nmu.edu:8090/pls/PROD/bwckschd.p_disp_dyn_sched.
b. Select the term you are coming to NMU under "Search by Term" (example Fall 2013) and submit
c. Select the subject you are interested in taking (example "Accounting) and select "class search" at the bottom.
(you can select multiple subjects by holding "Ctrl" key.
d. Take note of the class and section number (01, 02, 03 (on campus) etc... 55, 56 (web courses)
(example "ACT 201 01 Practical Acct Procedures)
You will not be registered for all 6 courses but this will give us extra courses to choose from when putting together your class schedule. A member from our office will be in contact with you regarding your course selections and your course schedule. It is best to be enrolled in 12-16 credits per semester so you have a chance to share your culture at different events and enjoy the Marquette culture. Don't forget about our Health Promotion (HP) courses. NMU offers a wide variety of activity courses for students to take.
All information should be sent to the International Programs Office and we will hand deliver it to the appropriate offices.
Additional Information regarding housing, health insurance, orientation and the academic calendar.