Exchange Visitor Pre-Arrival information
International Programs Office is happy to provide support to all incoming J-1 scholars to Northern Michigan University.
- Learn about the program: Upon receiving your DS-2019 and accompanying documents from your NMU department, please carefully read all enclosed materials.
- Check for errors: When you receive your DS-2019, please review it carefully for any errors. Contact the International Programs Office immediately if you find an error on your DS-2019.
- SEVIS Fee: Prior to your visa interview, you must pay the $180 SEVIS Fee. You can pay your SEVIS I-901 fee online or by western union. Please be sure to print your receipt as you will need proof of your payment.
- Visa Interview: Contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate and schedule an interview appointment for a J-1 visa.
- Health Insurance: Decide how you will arrange for health insurance during your stay in the US. If your health insurance is not provided by your department, decide whether you will bring a health insurance policy with you from your home country or purchase a health insurance policy in the US. Suggested insurance is AETNA or NMU Insurance policy. For immigration insurance minimums, please see our detailed insurance page.
- Housing: Your department should assist you in finding suitable housing. Please tell your department about your housing preferences.
- Travel Plans: You will fly into K.I. Sawyer International Airport (MQT) with a connecting flight from Chicago or Detroit.
- Delays: If unexpected events cause your arrival to be delayed more than 5 days after the start date on your DS-2019, you must notify the International Education Services Office immediately. We must create an updated DS-2019 for you with a postponed start date.
- Wilberforce Pamphlet - Rights and Protection for Temporary Workers
- Program Activities - The International Education Services Office offers different programs throughout each semester. Please be sure to check our site for updated list. All exchange visitors are encouraged to join us for any activities offered.
- Check-In Procedures - You are required to bring your immigration documents (passport, visa, DS 2019) to the International Education Services Office (2001 Hedgcock) within 5 business days of arrival. You will have a couple forms to fill out and we will schedule your orientation at this time.
- Check in at International Education Services Office, located at 2001 Hedgcock. You much check in with an immigration advisor within 5 business days of arrival.
- Orientation: When meeting with your immigration advisor we will schedule a time to have your orientation to inform you how to maintain status while at Northern Michigan University.
- Opening a bank account -There are many banks and credit unions in Marquette that you can choose to open an account at.
- Mbank - 300 N. McClellan Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855
- Marquette Community Federal Credit Union - 1230 West Washington Street, Marquette, MI 49855
- Wells Fargo Bank - Campus branch in NMU's University Center
- Northern Michigan Bank and Trust - 1502 West Washington Street
- River Valley Bank - 1101 North 3rd Street, Marquette, MI 49855
- Range Bank - 100 North Front Street, Marquette, MI 49855
- UP Catholic Credit Union - 1001 West Baraga Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855
- Peninsula Bank - 1414 West Fair Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855
- River Valley State Bank - 1140 West Washington Street, Marquette, MI 49855
- Republic Bank - 1930 US Highway 41 W, Marquette, MI 49855
- Superior Iron Range Community Federal Credit Union - 2424 US Highway 41 W, Marquette, MI 49855
- Northern Michigan Bank and Trust - 5096 US Highway 41 S, Marquette, MI 49855
- Peninsula Bank - 102 North Front Street, Marquette, MI 49855
- Library Access - You can visit our Olson Library anytime but if you need access to check books out, please see your department and they will fill out the authorization request form through our Academic Affairs department.
- Health Care Facilities
- NMU Health Center - Lower Level of Gries Hall on campus. Open mainly from 8-5 Monday through Friday
- Superior Walk In Center - 1414 West Fair Avenue, Suite 134 - Open 365 days a year from 9am to 9 pm
- Duke LifePoint Hospital - 580 West College Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855 (directly across the street from the NMU University Center)