IRS Form W-2 Notice to Employee

Do you have to file? Refer to the Form 1040 Instructions to determine if you are required to file a tax return. Even if you do not have to file a tax return, you may be eligible for a refund if box 2 shows an amount or if you are eligible for any credit.

Earned income credit (EIC). You may be able to take the EIC for 2014 if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is less than a certain amount. The amount of the credit is based on income and family size. Workers without children could qualify for a smaller credit. You and any qualifying children must have valid social security numbers (SSNs). You cannot take the EIC if your investment income is more than the specified amount for 2014 or if income is earned for services provided while you were an inmate at a penal institution. For 2014 income limits and more information, visit Also see Pub. 596, Earned Income Credit. Any EIC that is more than your tax liability is refunded to you, but only if you file a tax return.

Clergy and religious workers. If you are not subject to social security and Medicare taxes, see Pub. 517, Social Security and Other Information for Members of the Clergy and Religious Workers.

Corrections. If your name, SSN, or address is incorrect, correct Copies B, C, and 2 and ask your employer to correct your employment record. Be sure to ask the employer to file Form W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, with the Social Security Administration (SSA) to correct any name, SSN, or money amount error reported to the SSA on Form W-2. Be sure to get your copies of Form W-2c from your employer for all corrections made so you may file them with your tax return. If your name and SSN are correct but are not the same as shown on your social security card, you should ask for a new card that displays your correct name at any SSA office or by calling 1-800-772-1213. You also may visit the SSA at

Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage (if such cost is provided by the employer). The reporting in box 12, using code DD, of the cost of employer-sponsored health coverage is for your information only. The amount reported with code DD is not taxable.

Credit for excess taxes. If you had more than one employer in 2014 and more than $7,254 in social security and/or Tier 1 railroad retirement (RRTA) taxes were withheld, you may be able to claim a credit for the excess against your federal income tax. If you had more than one railroad employer and more than $3,828 in Tier 2 RRTA tax was withheld, you also may be able to claim a credit. See your Form 1040 or Form 1040A instructions and Pub. 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax.