Northern Michigan University
Property And Liability Insurance Claims
INITIATED: September 2, 2003
APPROVED: September 2, 2003
To provide guidance and information pertaining to the University’s Property and Liability Insurance claims and incident reporting procedures
Faculty, staff and students.
Loss or Damage Involving University Property
- Claims for loss or damage to University property are to be immediately reported to the Risk and Insurance Manager who will arrange for processing the claim in accordance with the University’s Property Insurance Program and will work with the department in arranging for the repair or replacement of the property.
- The maximum amount to be included in any loss is the lesser of either the cost to repair the damaged property to its condition prior to the loss or replace it with comparable property.
The department responsible for the lost or damaged property will pay for the first $250.00 of each loss in the following circumstances:
- Theft of property under the control of the department.
- The total amount of the loss is less than $250.00
Loss or Damage Involving University Owned, Leased or Rented Vehicles
- Accidents involving University vehicles are to be immediately reported to the nearest police agency in accordance with State law.
- For accidents involving University owned or leased vehicles, the driver of the vehicle must complete a Northern Michigan University Motor Vehicle Accident Report Form and forward it to the Risk and Insurance Manager. These forms are available from the Risk and Insurance Management Office.
- For accidents involving rental car company vehicles, the driver must complete accidents forms and documents as required by the rental car company and provide copies to the Risk and Insurance Manager as soon as possible. Inform the rental car company that the Risk and Insurance Manager is the University contact for any claim resulting from the accident.
- The Risk and Insurance Manager will arrange for processing claims in accordance with the University’s Vehicle Insurance Program.
Personal Injury to Students and Visitors
- Personal injuries resulting from accidents or incidents occurring on property owned or under the control of Northern Michigan University must be reported to Public Safety and Police Services in accordance with the University’s Incident Reporting Policy for Accidents/Injuries/Illnesses. In addition, a copy of this form must be sent to the Risk and Insurance Manager.
- Any claim for reimbursement or payment for medical bills or other damages must be immediately referred to the Risk and Insurance Manager who will process the claim in accordance with the University’s Liability Insurance Program. Do not volunteer on behalf of the University to make payment for any claims.
- Lawsuits naming the University, Board of Trustees individually or collectively, faculty, staff, students or volunteers, for any claim in connection with University business must be immediately reported to the Risk and Insurance Manager. The original suite papers, including any envelopes, should be forwarded to the Risk and Insurance Manager as soon as they are received.
- The University will provide legal defense for any individuals named in such suits in accordance with the University’s Indemnification Policy. The Risk and Insurance Manager will arrange for legal counsel to provide defense in accordance with the University’s Liability Insurance Program.
Risk and Insurance Management, ext. 2745
For implementing instructions, please click here: