Northern Michigan University
Property And Liability Insurance Coverage

INITIATED: September 2, 2003

APPROVED: September 2, 2003


To provide guidance and information pertaining to the University’s Property and Liability Insurance Programs.


All faculty, staff and students.


  1. Property Insurance - The University maintains a combination insurance/self insurance program to protect itself from “all risks” of physical loss to University owned real and personal property. Coverage is provided on a blanket replacement cost basis. The University does not provide insurance coverage for property of employees or students.

  2. Liability Insurance – The University maintains a combination insurance/self insurance program of legal liability insurance coverage providing protection from legal liability for the University. The Board of Trustees, faculty, staff, students and volunteers are also covered while acting on behalf of, or under the direction of the University during the performance of their duties as such. Refer to the University’s Indemnification Policy.

  3. Motor Vehicle Insurance – The University maintains a combination insurance/self insurance program providing coverage for University owned and long term lease vehicles. This includes coverage for vehicle physical damage and vehicle liability.

    1. Personally owned vehicles used on University Business - The University’s insurance program provides liability insurance protection for personally owned vehicles used while conducting University business. These vehicles must have liability insurance in accordance with State law and the University’s insurance is secondary to this insurance. The University provides no vehicle physical damage insurance for personally oned vehicles.

    2. Rental Car Vehicles – The University’s insurance program provides insurance protection for rental car vehicles rented for University business, however, this coverage varies from state to state and also depends on the language of the rental car agreement.

      All terms and conditions of the rental car agreement should be read and followed. Violations of the agreement may leave the University or renter responsible for additional damages or expense.

      Most rental car companies hold the renter responsible for all damages to the vehicle, regardless of fault. They usually offer a collision damage waiver for an additional daily fee. This is usually very expensive and should be declined. Coverage for damage to rental vehicles while being used to conduct University business is provided by the University. In addition, you may also have coverage for this damage provided by your personal automobile insurance. Check with your insurance agent.

      The rental car company may also offer insurance providing accident/medical and death benefits or coverage for property in the vehicle. The University already provides accident/medical and death benefits for University employees. If you want additional coverage and accept this insurance, it is at your expense. University owned property is covered under the University’s property insurance program. If you want to cover your personal property, it is at your expenses.

  4. Insurance for International Travel – The University maintains an insurance program providing coverage for faculty, staff and students traveling on University business outside of the United States, its possessions, and Canada excluding countries or jurisdictions subject to U.S. trade or economic sanctions.

    Coverage includes general liability, contingent automobile liability, accidental death and dismemberment, repatriation and medical evacuation, and 24 hour travel assistance for personal, medical, legal or security needs.

    Details for this coverage can be obtained by contacting the Risk and Insurance Manager or the Office of International Affairs.

  5. Requests for Certificates of Insurance – Occasionally the University will be required to provide evidence of insurance coverage to an outside entity or company. This may happen when we rent facilities or vehicles, place students in internship or practicum courses off campus, or engage in contractual relationships for a variety of other reasons. The Risk and Insurance Manager will arrange for these certificates. To request a certificate you will need to provide the Risk and Insurance Manager with:

    1. The reason the certificate is required.
    2. A copy of the contract or agreement requiring the certificate.
    3. Name and complete mailing address of the entity or company requiring the certificate.
    4. The type and limits of insurance required.
    5. The dates for which the insurance is required.
    6. The name and phone number of the University department and individual requesting the certificate.




Risk and Insurance Management, ext. 2745

For implementing instructions, please click here: