Northern Michigan University
Employment Extension Procedures To Be Used When A Grant
Or Contract Is In The Process Of Being Renewed Or Extended
INITIATED: APRIL 4, 1987
APPROVED: APRIL 4, 1987
To establish a process of extending employment for grant funded employees.
All Faculty and Staff.
The Employment Extension procedures are as follows:
- Prepare a request for an account form and submit for Council member's approval. This form should contain the following information:
- Dollar and time limitations this account is to be operated under while formal grant or contract is being obtained;
- A budget for the time period set by the request;
- A written statement from the council member indicating how deficits will be covered in the event funding is not continued.
- An Employment Processing System (EPS) form will be prepared for the entire appointment period (the whole period of time for which you expect the grant or contract to be renewed). The form will note that the "Appointment is for the period noted above subject to the continued availability of funding for the position."
- Upon final approval of the EPS form the appropriate Employment Agreement for Grant or Contract employees will be prepared.
- Where dollar or time limitations for the account have been reached, the project director will be notified by the Controller. The project director may request an amendment to these restrictions from the appropriate Council member. Employees may not work beyond the dollar or time limitations approved in 1(A) above. The project director will be responsible for ensuring this does not occur.
- In the event funding is not being continued or the project director elects not to continue the positions, the project director will follow standard personnel procedures in notifying the affected employee and submitting termination forms.
Controller, ext. 2054
For implementing instructions, please click here: Employment Extension Procedures