Northern Michigan University
University Related Travel For Nonemployee Groups

INITIATED: May 31, 1989

APPROVED: August 13, 2003


To provide guidance to academic groups traveling within the United States or abroad while representing the University.


Students and non-student participants.


The following procedure shall be followed when University academic groups request funding/permission to travel within the United States or abroad while representing the University and performing or participating in such functions as concerts, theater productions, outdoor recreational center programs, or meetings of professional associations. Extended class field trips should be handled through approvals given on Request for Travel forms.

  1. Before making such a travel commitment, the organizer must submit the travel proposal to or discuss it with the appropriate Department Head who will review it with the appropriate Dean/Associate Vice President/Associate Provost.
  2. If foreign travel is to be pursued, then the organizer must contact the International Affairs Office.

    University business travel to destinations that have a warning or advisory issued by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and/or the state department will need written approval from the traveler’s vice president.
  3. If fund raising is to be pursued, then the organizer should contact the Development Office.




Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, ext. 2920

For implementing instructions, please click here: