Recommendation for Hire Faculty Guidelines
Below is a checklist to guide you through the final stages of the faculty hiring process once the committee has identified a preferred candidate:
- For those candidates not selected, the search chair will need to change applicant statuses to “Interviewed-Not Hired” and either “send e-mail now” (for those you no longer wish to consider) or “do not send e-mail” (for those you may consider hiring if a preferred candidate declines an offer). Under the selection reason column, choose one of the options provided or select “Other” and enter the reason. Make sure the non-selection reason is job/criteria related. You may want to work with the Equal Opportunity Office during this step in order to facilitate a smooth approval process.
- For the selected candidate, the search chair will need to change the applicant’s status to “Recommend to Department Head/Director for Hire (Faculty Only)” and enter the selection reason. Again, make sure that the selection reason is job/criteria related.
- The Department Head/Director will review the applicant pool and the applicant statuses. (To review applicant statuses: Under "Job Postings," select "Active Postings." In the upper right hand corner under the "Reports" heading, select the "Applicant List" link. This will provide an applicant summary of the "Not Hired Reasons.") If approved, the Department Head/Director will change the applicant status to "Recommend to Dean for Hire (Faculty Only)."
- The Dean will review the applicant pool and the applicant statuses. (To review applicant statuses: Under "Job Postings," select "Active Postings." In the upper right hand corner under the "Reports" heading, select the "Applicant List" link. This will provide an applicant summary of the "Not Hired Reasons.") If approved, the Dean will change the applicant status to "Recommend to Provost/VP for Academic Affairs for Hire (Faculty Only.)"
- Academic Affairs will review the applicant pool and the applicant statuses. The Equal Opportunity Office will review the selection reasons for the preferred candidate as well as for those applicants no longer under consideration.
- Once all approvals are obtained, Academic Affairs will contact the department with approval and a contingent offer of employment can be extended to the candidate.
- Once an offer has been accepted, please verify that all remaining applicants have been notified that a selection has been made. For those candidates that have not received notice, change the status to send e-mail now. This can be for those applicants interviewed or for applicants not interviewed but retained as a secondary applicant pool. If applicants are personally notified, please select "Other" under the selection reason column and enter who notified the applicant and the date. This ensure thorough records within the recruiting system.
- The department secretary can process the employment agreement utilizing the Employee Processing System (EPS) and forward to the Vice President for Academic Affairs Office. The Provost will sign the employment agreement and mail to the applicant for signature. The applicant must return the signed employment agreement to the Academic Affairs Office as soon as possible.