Step 10: Documentation and Record Keeping
Search committee members should keep notes and documents on all screening and selection decisions. Examples:
- rating scales
- reference checks
- all applicant documentation (anything not retained within the system)
- interview rating scale
- interview notes
- Search committee notes must be able to defend screening and selection decisions.
- Do not write down anything that you would not wish to be made public.
- Records relating to successful applicants should be placed in the official personnel file designated for that purpose.
- Search committee chairs should turn over all applicant records, including notes and documentation, to the responsible office immediately after the hire. Records are retained five years after the date of hire and confidentially destroy provided there is no litigation pending.