Appropriate reasons for not hiring a candidate must be specific and job related. Reasons for not hiring or interviewing a candidate need to be listed on the job description and required for the job.
Appropriate Reasons for Not Hiring
- Candidate selected had more training and experience.
- Candidate well qualified for position but quality was higher in selected candidate.
- Insufficient job experience, i.e. does not have one year required supervisory experience.
- Lacks minimum qualification (List missing qualification(s), i.e. does not have college teaching experience, does not have three years of secretarial experience.
Invalid Reasons for Not Hiring Candidate
- Candidate is overqualified.
- The job requires personal characteristics not exclusive to either sex such as aggressiveness, charm, or tact.
- An assumption that members of one sex are unable or unwilling to do the job.
- Preferences of co-workers, employers, clients or customers, i.e. A coworker only wants to work with someone who looks like them.