COBRA – Frequently Asked Questions

How long can I continue Benefits?

Generally, medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage may be extended up to 18 months for staff members. Dependents who lose coverage because of loss of eligibility status may continue coverage for 36 months.  If you participate in a Health Care Flexible Spending Account, you can continue the account by making after-tax payments to the University for up to 18 months.

When would you need COBRA?

You and your dependents may need COBRA coverage should you experience the following status changes:

• Your employment is terminated;

• You receive a reduction of appointment, or

• You transfer to a position which is not eligible for benefits.

Your dependent might need COBRA continuation in the event of your death, divorce or when a child no longer qualifies as a covered dependent (marriage, too old for dependent coverage, reaching independent status, etc.).

How will I be notified about COBRA coverage?

When you lose eligibility based on your employment status changes, the Human Resources Department will be aware of the changes and will automatically mail you an application for COBRA continuation.  If you do not receive your COBRA information within a reasonable length of time (no longer than 14 days), you should call the Department immediately at (907) 227-2470).  You have only 60 days following receipt of your COBRA notice to apply for COBRA coverage.

How will a dependent be notified?

If your dependents lose coverage due to your death, divorce or ineligibility, the Human Resources Department will not know of these changes, and therefore, will not automatically mail out COBRA information. You or your designate must notify the Department within 30 days of the changes so that your dependents will qualify for COBRA coverage. The Human Resources Department is located in room 158 of the Services Building on Sugarloaf Avenue.  The mailing address is 1401 Presque Isle, Marquette, MI 49855.  The phone number is (906) 227-2470.

Where will the COBRA notification be sent?

Make sure your home address is current with the Human Resources Department. COBRA information will be sent to your last known home address. If you have an address change after your termination date, please contact the Department at (906) 227-2470.