Thanksgiving Break Housing
Students staying for any portion during Thanksgiving Break or who plan to return to their room prior to Sunday morning, must register online.
Residence Hall Closing and Re-Opening
The residence halls will close at 9:00 a.m., Saturday, November 18, 2017, and will re-open at 9:00 a.m., Sunday, November 26, 2017. Only students who have registered to stay any part of or all of the break will be able to access the residence halls and adjoining lobby when it is staffed..
All residence hall rooms that do not have a student registered to stay will be inspected by residence hall staff at the beginning of Thanksgiving Break. Any student still in the building who is not registered will need to leave the building immediately.
Preparing Your Room For Break
Before leaving for break, please:
- Remove all food that might spoil.
- Empty the wastepaper baskets and recycle bins.
- Shut off bathroom faucets and the shower.
- Lock your windows.
- Close your blinds.
- Set your heat dial to the middle setting.
- Unplug electrical appliances (except your refrigerator and fish tank).
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock the bathroom and room door.
Routine Maintenance Inspections
All residence hall rooms that do not have a student registered to stay will be inspected by residence hall staff at the beginning of Thanksgiving Break.
If you have a bicycle in one of the outdoor bike racks, please remove it and take it home with you or move it to one of the covered racks. You may also store your bike in Spooner Hall. Bicycles left in the racks by their owners will be removed by University personnel Monday and Tuesday, November 20 & 21, 2017, so the bike racks can be moved in preparation for snow removal. These bicycles will be handled in accordance with the University's abandoned property procedures. More information on bike storage will be provided by residence life staff.
Just as they are when classes are in session, all entrance doors will be locked for the duration of the break. Residents who register to stay for the break (as noted above), are expected to help with hall security by making sure the doors are secured when entering or leaving the building.
Guests, including students from other residence halls, are prohibited in the residence halls during the designated break period.
Residence Hall Staff
Residence Hall Staff will be available 24 hours a day. The name of the person on duty will be posted in your hall near your resident director's office and on the RA bulletin boards.
- Saturday, November 19, 2017
- 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Sunday, November 19 - Saturday, November 25, 2016
- 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
If you bring holiday decorations from home, please use the following guidelines for your own safety and the safety of others:
- No natural Christmas trees or limbs are allowed in student rooms; live planted trees less than 15" tall are permitted.
- The use of candles or flammable decorations is prohibited.
- If electrical lights are used, they must be UL approved.
- Only masking tape should be used for hanging decorations.
- No decorations may hang from the ceiling.