Thanksgiving Break Information


Residence Hall Closing and Re-Opening.

The residence halls will close at 9 a.m. on Saturday, November 22 and will re-open at 9 a.m. on Sunday, November 30.  All entrance doors will be locked and building access will be gained with the NMU ID card-swipe system.  Only students who have registered to stay any part of or all of the break will be able to access the residence halls.

Preparing Your Room For Break

Before leaving for break, please:

  • Remove all food that might spoil.
  • Empty the wastepaper baskets and recycle bins.
  • Shut off bathroom faucets and the shower.
  • Lock your windows.
  • Close your blinds.
  • Unplug electrical appliances (except your answering machine, refrigerator, and fish tank).
  • Turn off all lights.
  • Lock the bathroom and room door.

Routine Maintenance Inspections

All residence hall rooms will be inspected by residence hall staff at the beginning of the Thanksgiving break.


If you have a bicycle in one of the outdoor bike racks, please remove it and take it home with you.  You may also store your bike in Spooner Hall.  Bicycles left in the racks by their owners will be removed by University personnel so the bike racks can be moved in preparation for snow removal.  These bicycles will be handled in accordance with the University's abandoned property procedures.  More information on bike storage will be available shortly.

Thanksgiving Break Housing

Students staying for any portion during the Thanksgiving break or plan to return to their room prior to Sunday morning, must register online at by midnight on Friday, November 21. Once you register online (you will receive a confirmation email message), your NMU ID card will be activated for door access to your residence hall only.  Please use the card swipe readers adjacent to your residence hall doors to gain access to your building.  Please swipe your card slowly to give the reader time to verify your card.

All residence hall rooms that do not have a student registered to stay will be inspected by residence hall staff at the beginning of the Thanksgiving break. Any student still in the building who is not registered will need to leave the building immediately.


All entrance doors, including lobby doors, will be locked for the duration of the break.  Residents who register to stay for the break (as noted above), are expected to help with hall security by making sure the doors are secured when entering or leaving the building.


Guests and visitors (including students from other residence halls) are prohibited in the residence halls during the designated break period.

Residence Hall Staff

Residence Hall Staff will be available 24 hours a day. The name of the person on duty will be posted in your hall near your resident director's office and on the RA bulletin boards.

Desk Hours

Saturday, Nov. 22 Sunday - Saturday, Nov. 23-29 Sunday, Nov. 30
8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Noon - 3 p.m. Normal Hours Resume
6 p.m. - 8 p.m. 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.  


Dining Services

Regular dining service hours will continue until 8 p.m. on Friday, November 21.  The Marketplace will be closed Saturday, Nov. 22 through Sat., Nov. 29 and will reopen on Sunday, November 30 from 4 p.m. until 11 p.m. 

The Wildcat Den hours will be:

Saturday, Nov. 22 Sunday, Nov. 23 Monday - Tuesday, Nov. 24 & 25 Wed. - Sun., Nov. 26 - 30
8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Closed 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. Closed

Other Dining Services operations include:

Cafe Libri

Sat., Nov. 22
8 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Sunday, Nov. 23

Monday & Tuesday, Nov. 24 & 25
8 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Wednesday - Sunday, Nov. 26-30

Cat Trax Convenience Store

Sat., Nov. 22 - Saturday, Nov. 29

Sunday, Nov. 30
Open 6 p.m. - 1 a.m.


Sat., Nov. 22 - Sunday, Nov. 30


Sat., Nov. 22 - Sun., Nov. 30

Temaki & Tea/Smoothie King

Sat, Nov. 22 - Tues., Nov. 25
Regular Hours

Wed., Nov. 26 - Sun., Nov. 30


Sat., Nov. 22 - Sun., Nov. 30

Regular hours resume in all Dining Services facilities on Monday, December 1.

Holiday Season

If you bring holiday decorations from home, please use the following guidelines for your own safety and the safety of others:

  • No natural Christmas trees or limbs are allowed in student rooms; live planted trees less than 15" tall are permitted.
  • The use of candles or flammable decorations is prohibited.
  • If electrical lights are used, they must be UL approved.
  • Only masking tape should be used for hanging decorations.

Residence Hall Intention Surveys

The Housing and Residence Life Office is requesting that you complete your Intention Survey and return it to your resident adviser to better help students with their plans for next semester as well as to more effectively accommodate the housing requests of students who will be new to residence halls for the winter semester.  Intention forms must be returned by November 25.

If you are staying staying in a two-person room with your present roommate

  • You need do nothing more than complete and return the Intention Survey to your resident adviser.

If you are staying in your two-person room, but plan to have a specific person move in.

  • Your new roommate should indicate that he or she plans to move to your room on his or her Intention Survey and then see his or her resident director to pick up a Room and Hall Change Form.

Staying in your two-person room without having a specific person to move in.

  • If you have made no arrangements for a specific person to move into your room, a student new to University housing may be assigned to your room for the winter semester.
  • At the end of the semester, you will need to prepare your room and bathroom for that possibility, making sure that half of your space (e.g., bed, closet, drawers, desk, etc.) is available before you check out. If you do not, you will be charged an Improper Room Readiness Fee of $250 and charged for the single room ($589) or single Spooner apartment ($654.00).

Staying in your guaranteed single room

  • If you currently have a guaranteed single room, you need not do anything more than complete and return the Intention Survey to your resident adviser.

Staying in your two-person room and requesting it as a guaranteed single for the winter semester.

  • Request a guaranteed single room for the winter semester using the Single Room Request Form you can get from your resident adviser or resident director. The cost for a single room is an additional $589 for the semester. Note that we expect to be able to guarantee a limited number of single rooms for the upcoming semester. Single rooms cannot be guaranteed until after all new students have been assigned for the winter semester. Single room requests will be granted on the basis of space available, credit hours earned, and age.

Moving to another room

  • Obtain a Room and/or Hall Change Request Form from your resident director. The Room and/or Hall Change Request Form must be completed and you must move all of your belongings into your new room before you leave for the holiday break. This may require that you make special arrangements with the person whose room you are moving into and that your plans to leave campus at the end of the semester must accommodate the plans of the person into whose room you plan to move.
  • Room change requests after the Holiday Break will not be approved for at least two weeks and until your residence hall director is notified by the Housing and Residence Life Office.

Planning to stay enrolled at NMU and apply for a contract release to move off-campus

  • The residence hall contract is for the year and regardless of the age, class standing, number of semesters in the residence halls, etc., a contract release is not automatic unless he or she is: 1) student teaching, doing a University-affiliate internship, or completing a social work field placement out of the area,. 2) getting married, or 3) dropping to part-time (eight hours or less). The rumor that paying the $50 departure fee is all that is necessary is not true.
  • A student may be released from his or her residence hall contract if he or she has experienced circumstances beyond his or her control that make it impossible or extremely difficult for him or her to complete the term of the contract. (e.g., medical problems, extreme financial difficulties, or other unique situations.)
  • Meet with your resident director to discuss your circumstances, explore your options, and obtain a Contract Release Application if you wish to continue with the application process. The application must be turned in to your resident director by November 20 to know the status of approval or denial by finals week.
  • Do not finalize plans to move off campus until you have been notified if your application to terminate your residence hall contract has been approved or denied.

Student teaching or social work field placement

  • Complete the Contract Release Application available from your resident director and turn it in before November 26. (Note that applications for students doing their student teaching or field placement out of the Marquette area, once verified by the appropriate academic department, are automatically approved.)

Planning to leave the University

  • You are encouraged to talk to with your academic adviser, your resident adviser, or your resident director to discuss your plans and to see if the University can be helpful to you in any way.
  • At the end of the semester, you will need to check out of your room prior to 12 noon on Sunday, December 15.


Updated:  10/20/2014