BECOME A RESIDENT ADVISER OR COMMUNITY ADVISER!
Winter 2015 Selection Process
Did you know that the five most sought after skills employers are looking for today are:
- Community Skills
- Computer/Technical Aptitude
- Interpersonal Skills
Serving at a Resident Adviser or Community Adviser at NMU is a unique opportunity to gain significant experience in these areas. Former staff members return to campus time and time again and tell us that their experiences as a residence hall staff member and the skills they developed were key in helping them in their post-NMU "life".
We'd like you to consider applying to be one of our staff. Please review the following information and then, if you're ready, download an application at the bottom of this page and apply today. You'll be glad you did!
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – RESIDENT ADVISER
- Have previous residence hall living experience;
- Have demonstrated appropriate maturity;
- Be able to communicate effectively;
- Be sincerely interested in helping others be successful as students;
- Have successfully completed one semester as a full-time student (at least 12 semester hours during fall and winter or 8 semester hours during summer or as a graduate student) at NMU prior to submitting the application, or be a transfer student with at least 12 successfully completed academic hours at the previous institution and be enrolled as a full-time student during the current semester at NMU;
- Have a minimum 2.20 cumulative GPA, and a minimum 2.00 GPA for the last semester of academic work;
- Be free of any social probation imposed through the University’s judicial process at the time of application, and remain free of any probationary status
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS – COMMUNITY ADVISER
- Meet the minimum eligibility requirements for living in a University apartment;
- Demonstrated appropriate maturity;
- Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing;
- Successfully completed at least 12 semester hours of academic work at NMU or be a transfer student with at least 12 successfully completed academic hours at the previous institution and be taking a minimum of 12 undergraduate hours or 8 graduate hours during the current semester at NMU
- A minimum 2.20 cumulative GPA and a minimum 2.00 GPA for the last semester of academic work
- Free of any social probation imposed through the University's judicial process at the time of application, and remain free of any probationary status throughout his or her employment
Applicants are encouraged to attend an Information Meeting which is intended to provide applicants with an opportunity to meet with staff, learn more about the positions, and have their questions answered. While these meetings are optional, we recommend that you attend one to make sure you get all your questions answered. The meetings will be held:
|Wednesday, Feb. 4||9 p.m.||Either an RA or a CA position||Jamrich Hall, Room 1322|
|Thursday, Feb. 5||9:30 p.m.||Only a CA position.||Wooldand Park Multipurpose Room|
The first step in the selection process is attending the Applicant Selection Workshop. Attendance at this workshop is mandatory in order to be considered as a candidate for a position. The workshop will provide you with a unique opportunity to meet and interact with staff and other applicants and demonstrate some of the skills necessary for the position. The Selection Workshop will be held on Saturday, February 21, 2015 starting at 9 a.m. (candidates may arrive starting at 8:30 a.m.) in the University Center.
APPLICATIONS AND HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be available on Monday, February 2, 2015. Once you've downloaded an application, print it, fill it out, and submit the application to the Housing and Residence Life Office, 3502 Hedgcock, by 5 p.m. on Friday, February 14, 2014. Applications will also be available at the Housing and Residence Life Office (3502 Hedgcock), at each residence hall desk, at the Woodland Park lobby reception desk, from the Dean of Students Office, from the Center for Student Enrichment, or from the MERC Office.
Selection decisions will be made on Tuesday, March 17, 2015.
Please contact any Residence Life staff person if you have any questions You may also email your question to email@example.com.