Travel Information and Requirements
Welcome to the NMU Health Center travel page. We want your trip to be enjoyable, healthy, and safe. Depending on your destination, length of stay and activities, you may need special vaccinations, medications or precautions. Whether your travel is routine or exotic, the NMU Health Center is available to address your needs.
NMU Study Abroad Experience
If you are traveling internationally through an NMU sponsored study abroad experience, the following steps are required.
- Print and complete the travel information form. Complete vaccination and health information is important. You may need to access old health records.
- Sign and return the completed form to the NMU Health Center no later than six weeks prior to your departure.
- When returning your form to The Health Center, make an appointment for a Travel visit. Be certain your appointment is at least one month prior to your departure, in the event you need vaccines.
- During your travel appointment the physician will review your medical and vaccine record and make appropriate recommendations.
- After your appointment, the physician will inform the office of international programs that vaccines and medical issues are up to date. You will not be cleared for NMU study abroad until this step is complete.
The NMU Health Center travel service is available for any student, faculty or staff who is traveling anywhere in the U.S. or internationally. If you are traveling on a non-NMU sponsored trip, simply download and complete the travel information form, return it to the NMU Health Center and make an appointment.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Traveler's Health Web site (link below) is an excellent source of information on recommended immunizations and other travel precautions.
The following Web sites also provide helpful information for travelers. The first section contains information for all travelers. The second section has links specific to individual needs.
For All Travelers
- Region specific information
- General travel tips
- Medical Safety
- Jet lag
- Centers for Disease Control
- United Nations maps