Animals in Research
It is the policy of Northern Michigan University to establish and maintain proper measures to ensure the appropriate care and use of animals involved in research, research training and biological testing activities conducted or supported by NMU. This policy is intended to implement and supplement the recommendations of the Public Health Service (PHS), Office of Human Research Protection (OHRP, part of National Institutes of Health (NIH)), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal Welfare Act Regulations (AWAR), and the American Medical Veterinary Association (AVMA).
Due Dates for IACUC Animal Use Applications
Colony Applications: These applications may be submitted any time and will be reviewed using the Designated Member Review system within two weeks of receipt of the application. Note that these applications are subject to potential review in Full Committee.
USDA B and C categories: These applications may be submitted any time and will be reviewed using the Designated Member Review system within two weeks of receipt of the application. Note that these applications are subject to potential review in Full Committee.
USDA D and E categories: Due by the first Friday of each month and will be review during the next Full Committee meeting (usually by the end of the month).
The links to the left provide detailed information on NMU’s policies and procedures that have oversight by the university’s Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
*If changes are requested after the application is reviewed, the investigator MUST revise their original application to meet the requested changes. If no reply to the requested changes is received within 3 months, the investigator will be contacted by the IACUC Chairperson. If there is still no response after 2 weeks, the application will be dismissed and must be resubmitted.
Applications and Forms
- Animal Care and Use Form - Word 2013 or higher Word prior to 2013 version
- USDA Category B and C animal care and use forms are due every Thursday before 5pm
- USDA Category D and E animal care and use forms are due by the first Friday of every month
- Guidelines for Reviewing IACUC Applications
- Animal Adoption Form
- Application to Use Vertebrate Animals in an Established Colony
- Animal Care and Use Exemption Form
- Protocol Review Checklist for IACUC Reviewers
Policies and Training
Reporting Animal Care and Use Concerns
- Issues of violations found in the animal care facility, research labs, or other areas may be reported anonymously through this link.