The mission of the Northern Michigan University Grants and Contracts Office is to provide support to NMU faculty, staff and students in applying for internal and external funds for research and other sponsored activities and managing awards, bringing integrity, clarity and ease to sponsored programs and grant administration processes at NMU.
The Grants and Contracts Office:
- Facilitates and seeks opportunities for research and scholarly development and supports programmatic outreach and exposure to help meet the broader goals of the University;
- Promotes integrity in the sponsored programs enterprise by assuring compliance with applicable regulations, requirements and policies for sponsored funding. The office is responsible for protecting NMU’s interests by reviewing proposals to external funding agencies (sponsors), initiating and implementing pre-award policies and procedures, providing training and outreach, and serving as a liaison between sponsors and NMU.
- Advocates for research and graduate education through execution of policies that support successful proposal development and award administration.
- The office coordinates with the NMU Controller’s Office to facilitate effective award setup and management of sponsored projects.
Through these activities the Grants & Contracts Office guides the university’s research and sponsored activity endeavors on a forward path to fostering effective scholarly research, program development and student success.
The Grants & Contracts Office offers a wide range of services including:
- Providing information about potential federal, state, and private sources of funding;
- Assistance in the development of high-quality proposals that meet sponsor criteria and university and federal funding policies;
- Assistance with proposal preparation, including budget development;
- Providing final NMU authorization on all proposals to be submitted to sponsors;
- Acting as a liaison between the university and sponsors concerning pre-award issues;
- Working with faculty and staff to solve pre-award problems before proposals are submitted to sponsors;
- Assistance with award set-up should a proposal be funded;
- Working with all necessary parties – Controller’s Office, Office of Finance Administration, Risk & Insurance—for successful post-award management; and
- Providing training to faculty and related staff on proposal submission and grant administration related issues and regulations.
Guidelines and Procedures
When NMU faculty, staff, or administrators submit proposals for external funding, they are acting on the behalf of the University. For that reason, NMU policy requires that all proposals for external funding be reviewed by the Grants and Contracts Office. The office will conduct a proposal review and obtain the signature of the Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR) indicating NMU’s overall endorsement of the proposal before the unit or PI submits the proposal to the prospective funding agency. Should the proposal be awarded, the Controller’s Office and the NMU Contracting Official will review any contract developed by the sponsor agency and have sole authority to commit NMU to the contract and/or cooperative agreement. The following documents describe procedures and guidelines for all proposal submissions:
Uniform Proposal Review Procedure
Facilities & Administrative (Indirect) Costs Procedure
Match/Cost Share Guidelines