Financial Aid & Funding

Jamrich Hall

Types of Financial Aid

Though a graduate degree can earn you more money, many students may need assistance with tuition or seek funding opportunities. If you are a previous NMU graduate, veteran, or ar serving you may qualify for residency and in-state tuition. Below are some other resources and links regarding funding.

Federal Loans*

Degree-seeking graduate students may be eligible for unsubsidized loans through the Direct Loan program. Students seeking assistance through this loan program will need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and designate Northern Michigan University as a recipient. Our federal school code for the FAFSA is 002301.

Graduate Assistantships
Funded positions as Graduate Assistantships are listed here when available or are offered through academic departments as noted in the Graduate Bulletin. Graduate Assistantships involve an application process which varies depending on the hiring department. 

Grants and Travel Funding

Northern Michigan University offers additional research funding opportunities via grants like the Excellence in Education and Spooner awards. You can also view resources for external grant opportunities here. Departments may also have travel and special projects funding or may be able to assist with locating funding.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

FWS funding is sometimes available, but limited, for graduate students. If you are interested in the FWS program, you must request consideration when completing your FAFSA by indicating your interest in FWS.

*In order to be considered for loans or FWS, you must complete the FAFSA. We generally recommend having this form completed by March 1. We are able to process late applications as well, but cannot guarantee aid will be ready before fall tuition is due if the FAFSA is filed later.

Student Loan Deferment

If you have been out of school and paying on your federal student loans, you may be eligible to defer these payments. You must be enrolled at least half time (4 credits) in order to qualify. NMU sends rosters of qualifying students to a federal database. If you are not automatically picked up on one of these lists, and are still receiving bills once you’ve begun classes, you can stop by the Financial Aid Office located in the Hedgcock Student Services building to complete a paper deferment form.

Overage Checks

To be eligible for an overage, your financial aid must be more than your tuition and fees and all document requirements must be completed. Overage checks are generally available on the first day of classes each semester by either signing up for direct deposit or picking the check up in person. The Student Service Center handles the distribution of overage checks.

Other Information

You are expected to familiarize yourself with the rights and responsibilities you have as a financial aid recipient. Correspondence from the Financial Aid Office will be sent to your NMU e-mail address. Please be sure to check this account often. You can view your financial aid information online at any time by going to

Financial Aid Office
2107 C.B. Hedgcock