Admission Policies - International Student Applicants

International Student Applicants International applicants must meet the minimum academic requirements for admission as set by the Office of Graduate Education and the academic program department. Applicants must provide credentials to satisfy U.S. immigration regulations. Applications for international students should be submitted one year prior to the date of expected attendance. International students must also provide the following:

  1. Completed Graduate Admissions Application.
  2. A $50 application fee through bank draft, money order or credit card made payable in U.S. funds.
  3. Official, original transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. These documents must be sent directly from the issuing institution to the Office of Graduate Education. Certified translations are required for any documentation not originally in English.
  4. Education Credential Evaluation-Graduate students must submit all non-U.S. post-secondary academic records for evaluation and have the results sent to the Office of Graduation Education. Below is a list of the different credential evaluators that you may use. Please select one of the following institutions. You must supply required transcripts and pay the processing fees.
    • Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) - Please read the instructions on the ECE form carefully. A "Course-by-Course" report --or equivalent--must be selected. ($135) (NMU will notify you if a subject analysis report is needed to determine transfer credit.)
    • World Education Services (WES) - Select the "Course by Course" report ($160)  The WES ICAP service allows applicants to submit their official educational documents only once--to WES. NMU would then receive the verified documents from WES.
    • North American Educational Group (NAEG) - Select the "Course by Course" report ($135)
  5. English Proficiency-Proof of an adequate level of English language proficiency must be provided.  These are the required minimum scores for graduate admission:

    TOEFL Score - 213 computer-based, 550 paper-based or 79 iBT.
    IELTS - score of 6.5 or better.
    MELAB - score of 79 or better.

    If your English language scores are not high enough to apply for regular admission, please apply for our English as a Second Language Program. We can help graduate level students learn English.

  6. Financial Guarantee-Students must provide documentation that they have the ability to finance their education at Northern Michigan University. This is accomplished by completing the Certification of Finances form and providing the original copy of either the bank official's signature on that section or a separate letter from the bank official or a bank account statement.
  7. Submit official scores in a standardized test (GRE, GMAT, MAT) if required for admission to the selected degree programs.
  8. Three letters of recommendation from persons knowledgeable about the academic abilities of the student.

Applications from international students whose qualifications meet the minimum standards of the Office of Graduate Education and who have met all the requirements for admission listed above will be referred to the academic department in which they wish to study for further review.

Once a student is admitted, NMU will issue an I-20AB form to the student. All F1 non-Canadian students must purchase the university approved health insurance policy as a condition of registration and must continue this coverage at all times in order to maintain enrollment. The annual cost of the insurance program is added to the fee statement and is payable during registration. Once an international student is registered and has arrived at Northern Michigan University, he or she must contact the International Programs Office at 906-227-2510 and speak to the international student adviser. All new international students are required to participate in a special ongoing orientation program during their first semester of enrollment (fall and winter semesters only).  Additional information can be found on the International Programs page.