Incomplete Grade Policy
Students may receive an Incomplete (“I”) grade for course work in which they are currently enrolled if the following conditions have been met. Failure to complete the specified work within the designated time frame may result in an “F” grade for the course.
- The student must be currently enrolled in the course(s) in question (prior to grading).
- The deadline for an automatic “W” grade for the course(s) must have passed.
- The student must be passing the course(s) (student must have completed work of acceptable quality). An “I” grade is never applied when the student has done poor work.
- The student must have a legitimate extenuating circumstance(s), such as a severe illness, that prohibits completion of the course. The faculty member will consult her or his department head and/or the Dean of Students Office with any questions regarding legitimacy.
- Students are not allowed to re-take the course as a condition of the incomplete. If the circumstances are such that the student meets the requirements of the course at the time of the “I” grade, then only the remainder of the course content is required to be completed.
- The instructor, upon receiving and evaluating the completed work, will record the appropriate grade (A through F) prior to stated deadlines for grading at the end of each respective semester (see item 7 below).
- “I” grades will revert to an alternate grade assigned by the instructor if the assigned work is not completed within a period designated by the faculty, not to exceed one year.
- The instructor granting an “I” grade must provide the Registrar’s Office with an Incomplete Grade Form listing the items described below.
- Students cannot graduate with an “I” grade on their record.
Exceptions to this policy (for instance, if a student requests an “I” grade prior to the “W” deadline) may be granted by appeal to the Dean of Students Office; the decision on any appeal to this policy by the dean of students is final.
Process for Changing an Incomplete to a Grade
At the time an “I” grade is awarded, the instructor will complete the appropriate form stating (1) the reason for awarding the incomplete, (2) what work has to be performed by the student to complete the course, (3) the deadline for completing the work, and (4) the alternate grade to be awarded in the event the deadline is not met. The form must be returned no later than the deadline identified for end-of-semester grading. One copy of this form is retained by the instructor, one is forwarded to the Registrar’s Office and one is mailed to the student. If an instructor fails to indicate an alternate grade, the incomplete will automatically revert to an “F” at the expiration of the deadline. The maximum time that can be given to complete an “I” grade is one year.
Students may request a duplicate copy of the Incomplete Grade Form from the department in which the course was taken. The student is responsible for obtaining all information regarding the completion of the course, including deadlines, from the instructor or the instructor’s department head.