Parent Guide to FYE
The First Year Experience program at NMU is a great opportunity for your child to make a successful start to a college career. Each fall, about 70% of incoming freshmen participate in FYE blocks.
Why is FYE popular?
- EARLY REGISTRATION for courses (months prior to attending orientation);
- CONFIRMED course schedule;
- CHOICE of courses related to academic interests;
- SHARED experience with other incoming students;
- Alleviates ANXIETY associated with the process of attending their first semester;
- Early exposure to ACADEMIC DEPARTMENTS and FACULTY;
- High impact, nationally recognized post-secondary educational practice that aids RETENTION.
Data from the Fall 2012 Semester shows that students in FYE have an average first semester GPA that is 9.2% higher than freshmen not in FYE. Also, 10.3% more FYE freshmen return for their second semester than freshmen not in FYE.
FYE Presentation for Parents
In this video the Coordinator of First Year Programs provides a parent-focused overview of NMU's First Year Experience (FYE) Program. Topics covered include: Why is FYE so popular? What does "block" scheduling mean for your student? How does FYE impact student persistence? Click the image below to view the video.