Parent Guide to FYE
The First Year Experience program at NMU is a great opportunity for your child to make a successful start to a college career. The First Year Experience is required for all first-time, full-time freshmen.
Benefits of the First Year Experience?
- EARLY REGISTRATION for courses (months prior to attending orientation);
- CONFIRMED course schedule;
- CHOICE of courses related to academic interests;
- SHARED experience with other incoming students;
- Alleviates ANXIETY associated with the process of attending their first semester;
- Early exposure to ACADEMIC DEPARTMENTS and FACULTY;
- High impact, nationally recognized post-secondary educational practice that aids RETENTION.
FYE Presentation for Parents
In this video the Coordinator of First Year Programs provides a parent-focused overview of NMU's First Year Experience (FYE) Program. Topics covered include: Why is FYE so popular? What does "block" scheduling mean for your student? How does FYE impact student persistence? Click the image below to view the video.